This Disappears When Logged In

Hello Aft Experts! Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by BrandonD1225, Dec 31, 2017.

1. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

Hello everyone! Like many on this forum (I'm sure), I'm just worried poppa for my little AFT gecko.

He's 17 or 18 years old; I've had him for a long time! I've always been worried I haven't provided the best husbandry for him as best as I could.

He currently has a shredded skin chunk hanging from his face; it runs from the tip of his nostril to the closedt edge of his eyes. He has easily shredded all of the other skin on his body. Again, he has a build of 'shedded' ski which is still attached close to his nostrils.

Admittedly, I tried to help him shed by wetting a q-tip and gently wiping his face. I later felt this was a terrible mistake; these creatures have shredded for thousands of years without human help, and it seems like the area I tried to help in is now a problem area for my gecko to she'd.

How do I help my gecko? Is it as simple as giving him a luke-warm bath? Should I leave him alone and let his body fix it? Does it sound drastic enough to bring him to a vet?

Please let a worried papa know!

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Send some pictures of the aft and his enclosure please, as well as heat and humidity details. Yes they shed on their own in the wild but if conditions in captivity aren't perfect then there may arise issues that need human intervention.

3. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

Here's my little guy! He has a red light and a heating pad underneath for warmth. For Humidity I've been wetting down the big dish of moss.

Attached Files:

4. AmityReptiles

What are your temps and humidity levels? And how are you measuring those?

5. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

I'm not measuring them and I'm not sure how to go about that; usually I keep his red light on all the time, and his heating pad at night. I spray the moss down daily with a squirt bottle full of water.

Also there's a little calcium mixed into his water bowl.

6. AmityReptiles

Without measuring the temps and humidity it is impossible to know whether the animal is in a suitable environment for the species or not. I would suggest start by getting a digital hygrometer/thermometer and find out what your current conditions are. Then we can make adjustments if needed and give you suggestions to help with your shedding issue.

7. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

Back with more! A few things here:

I cleaned his cage and gave him a soak.

I gave him the much bigger water dish, so he could soak or drink from it (It's not very deep)

I put damp moss in his hutt/cave, with the lamp directly above and the heating pad directly below it.

And lastly, I bought the digital thermometer and hygrometer. I'm stunned to see the humidity is so low at 30%. I'm hoping it's actually much more humid in his cave.

Any more suggestions?

Attached Files:

8. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

Updated readings, after moving the sensors closer to his cave.

Attached Files:

9. AmityReptiles

The shedding issue most likely has to do with the humidity. You can run a humidifier in the room and/or mist your enclosure to raise that. Also covering the screen top completely will keep humidity in, atleast until this dry weather is behind us. If shed is stuck on his face for any substantial length of time it is appropriate to remove it yourself with warm water and a q tip like you mentioned.

10. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

I'll try covering the top if his tank next!

As far as the q-tip goes, I'm worried about attempting that again. I tried to help him on several occasions with that same skin tag on his face and I truthfully thought I made it worse. It's as simple as gently wiping the problem area with a lukewarm q-tip, right? I'm worried I damaged his skin and that's why he keeps shedding unevenly. We'll see how he does after I close off the top of his tank and let humidity build up.

Thank you for all your help!!

11. BrandonD1225

BrandonD1225 Member

Oh and one more thing. What percentage should his humidity be at ideally? Thanks in advance!

12. AmityReptiles

Yes just wiping off stuck shed. And humidity should be somewhere around 45-55%.