This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Substrate to Encourage Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by GHall648, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GHall648

GHall648 Member

I have emarld green basilisk that will be maturing soon and would like to breed them. I am building this large habitat as I describe some time back and would like some suggestions on how to heat the substrate. I am aware of the usual under the glass heaters but my layout does not accommodate this. It is designed to have a false bottom because the water area equates to a 65 gallon area is 22" deep. Another 24" will be substrate at the water level. Has anyone had any experience with the Hydor heator cables within the substrate. Will welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Greg.

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I don't have experience with them sorry, but will they be potential burn hazards?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have no experince with them either but you might check into greenhouse supplies. They have heating cables that are specifically designed to put in soil to quicken the rooting of cuttings and seed germination.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

When you get into heating the substrate, it's easier to do so with a laying box.
    You could have two container with a heat pad sandwiched between them.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have used heat cables buried under substrate, and while it does not do well with terrestrial snakes, it should be better suited to arboreal lizards - they won't spend hours on end just laying on it.