This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Question

Discussion in 'Herp Habitat Construction' started by DanSanf, Jul 22, 2016.

1. DanSanf

DanSanf New Member

My son wants a gecko. I'm almost on board with it, however I'm nervous about using a heating pad under the tank. I was going to let him keep the vivirariam in his room, on his dresser. I'm worried about it being a fire hazard now. Any suggestion?

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Hi. I assume you mean a leopard gecko, and if so I suggest reading this.
    Leopard Gecko | Reptile Forums - Information

The heating pad shouldn't be a fire hazard but there are precautions you should take. For starters, I haven't known the adhesive on many popular heat pad brands to last very long. This is simple to fix, just purchase some cheap foil tape (usually sold for electrical purposes) to tape the pad to the bottom, this kind of tape can take the heat. It's what I've been doing for my leopard gecko for years. Additionally, you want to get a thermostat to control the heat pad, that way it won't get too hot and you can set it to the temperatures the animal actually requires.
    You'll also want to leave some air space between the heat pad and the surface the cage is on. I just used 4 small blocks of wood on each corner to prop the tank 2 inches or so up.