This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Options

Discussion in 'Heating' started by akbaby907, May 27, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I'm putting together plans for a 6'x2'x2' boa enclosure (may decide to change height to 3') and I'm having trouble deciding on how to heat it. I'm thinking of making the whole bottom a belly heat "spot" to keep the ambient temperature correct and a ceramic heat emitter (with no access/safely away from my boa's reach) for the warm spot. I'm going window shopping soon to see exactly what I have available locally before I look to the internet for supplies. My thought was to use heat rope/cable or heat tape on a dimmer along the bottom, with ceramic tiles as a detachable floor and substrate on top of the tiles. Has anybody done this with success, or have other suggestions? I also have a water bed heat pad that a family member is encouraging me to use but I just don't see it being safe. Any thoughts/usage on that?

I'm trying to avoid lighting as a heat source, but if it works then oh well haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vezdQPW6S_M
    This video is how I came across the tiles and heat rope idea.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You don't want the whole floor to be heated. You need an area where the snake can get off the heat if it wants.