This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Large Custom Enclosure Advice!!

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Larry Ruffner, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Larry Ruffner

Larry Ruffner New Member

Hello, I am in the starting stages of building a huge Custom enclosure to move all my reptiles into one room. Its going to house 2 Ball Pythons, A Boa Constrictor, a Crested Gecko and have a small empty unit on the bottom for a future resident. The three top tiers will be 6' long x 24" wide and 18"tall. Bottom tier will be split, one for the crested and then the empty one. I am struggling with wrapping my head around what to use to heat the top tanks with. There are so many options with RHP and CHE's with a cage. I am not too worried about belly heat, because heating a basking spot will warm the substrate up. I am sealing the inside of all housing areas with Non-Toxic Pond Seal. I will also be using sliding glass doors. I will also be using Vivarium Electronics VE300x2's to monitor the temps. Probably a middle probe at center of each enclosure and hold that temp around 83-85. What do you recommend to use for heating. There are so many threads and groups that just want to argue over what is better, I just want what's best for my animals. I will also have a side box for a misting system for the Crested Gecko and the build has started, but I just want to heat it properly and get my snakes out of glass tanks and into a life home. I think that covers everything I can think of right now. Thanks for you help in this.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Draw it out and post it so we can get a better feel on size and look.
    I think you'll be better of keeping an air space in between each layer. Also keeping each habitat on a separate thermostat.

3. Larry Ruffner

Larry Ruffner New Member

4. Larry Ruffner

Larry Ruffner New Member

Here is the rough up of the entire viv. Top one is for a Boa, Next one down 4' one is for a ball, and 2' one is for Crested Gecko. Next Level down 4' for ball and 2' is undetermined at this point. I am going to go with herpstat 6 thermostats and am thinking pro-heat panels. for the snakes and vent to the crested tank because they don't need a ton of heat then just run a UVB in the gecko part. Also thinking floresent bulbs for lighting, but undecided on that as of yet. There will be an airspace between layers. Thanks so much for your input on this build.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks to me like you have it covered. Of course you'll need to play around with the thermostat settings to get each enclosure sitting right.
    With the air space you might want an adjustable vent on each end in case you need to vent some heat instead of trapping it all.

6. Larry Ruffner

Larry Ruffner New Member

Thanks so Much. I am excited to get this build completed. I'll post some pics once its done. And great Idea about the adjustable vents, Didn't think of that.