This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Info

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by BlackBlood94, Oct 24, 2014.

1. BlackBlood94

BlackBlood94 Member

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I have some questions. I recently purchased my Black Blood Python yesterday and received him today. He is extremely healthy and seems to be adapting well. My only concern is I live in my basement in my house which stays relatively cold year round. I have his tank heated up to 78 degrees and it is still climbing. My only concern is that at night when I shut his lamp off thay the cage temp will reach possibly into the upper 60s. Im not sure how I can retain this heat for the night time. If anybody could help that would be much appreciated!

2. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

I would suggest investing in a secondary/alternative heat source. I'm not sure what type of cage you have but the ambient temp really shouldn't be dropping lower than 80 at night. Being that air temps will be in the 60s, I think any sort of insulation method is not going to prove effective. Using an under tank heat pad or heat tape on a thermostat would be a much more effective way to provide your new blood python the temps that it needs. I find lamps much harder work with as they suck moisture our of the enclosure to fast and it is hard to provide the right level of humidity. Another option would be a ceramic heat emitter which doesn't produce light but does provide overhead heat. This way you are providing nighttime heat while also not disrupting the photo period.

3. BlackBlood94

BlackBlood94 Member

I have an under tank heat pad from my ball python I used to own. I set that up and bought a better thermometer and better heat lamp with bulb. My temp is up to 82-84 degrees on the hot side and 75 on the cool side. I provided a larger bowl for him to lay in and a smaller one for water. I put down a couple layers of newspaper and then an inch or 2 of aspen snake bedding. I am going to get a ceramic heat emitter once I find one. Do I need more? This is my first Blood, is there anything I need to know?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

UTHs do almlst nothing for ambient heat, they're really only for providing the hot spot. Best idea would be a ceramic heat emitter on a seperate t-stat. And some insulation would still help, but your not going to be able to get away with turning the heat off at night.

5. BlackBlood94

BlackBlood94 Member

What about a heat panel and thermostat?

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I have never used one yet, although I will have several in a few weeks. I see most people using them in arboreal setup to create an elevated hot spot, but I believe they can be used in shorter setups to both create the hot spot and maintain ambient temps, but a lot depends on the setup and such.

7. BlackBlood94

BlackBlood94 Member

I've just got a 20 gal terrarium that I bought from uncle bills about 8 years ago. Just don't know if one will work on here or not

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You may want to start building something a little bigger. A blood would be happy, and well insulated in a shorter, wider, wooden cage with a glass or plexi front. Glass aquariums tend to leak a LOT of heat right out the lids, sides, and floors. Glass itself, is a very poor thermal insulator when used in panels as thin as most aquariums are made of.

I use heat panels in both vertical setups and horizontal ones. The vertical setups make for a vertical heat gradient, which is excellent for arboreal or semi-arboreal species. For terrestrial ones, you really want a small panel situated on one end of the enclosure, so the other remains cooler,

You will also need to boost your warm end temps a few degrees.

9. Smashwag

Smashwag New Member

Order a ceramic heat emitter off Amazon or from your local pet store. They offer much heat and puts off NO LIGHT. Perfect for night time and as an extra boost of heat.

10. BlackBlood94

BlackBlood94 Member

Well building somethin definitely wouldn't be difficult to do, how big of a cage are you talking, do you by chance have pics so I can get an idea? I really wouldn't mind building him something. And so you would suggest a horizontal tank I'm guessing considering bloods aren't much of a climber? And yeah I had a ceramic heat emitter with my ball python but it went out so I just needa new one

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As to building, if you are remotely handy, it is quite easy. The general construction forum has plenty of ideas, processes, designs, and inspiration. Most of us have a few threads showing the building of a cage from start to finish.

You can also upcycle old furniture - which I have done numerous times. My BRB cage is made out of an old dresser. You can see the revamp of it here. The layout wouldn't be bad for a blood.

http://www.herpcenter.com/habitat-lighting/53785-led-rope-lights.html

I prefer sliding glass doors with locks for my snake cages.

You'll need wood, sealant (Minwax polycrylic is my go-to), screws, light fixtures, glass (I use 1/4" plate or tempered) tracks, locks, and a few other odds and ends, but overall, they can be quite affordable, and very efficient.