This Disappears When Logged In

Heating For Crickets

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by billrogers, Oct 4, 2015.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

So I have a bunch of little crickets that I am trying to start a colony with, but I need to provide some heat for them as the cold months arrive since they are in my garage. I have an old ZooMed under tank heater, its the small size, 8 watts, will that melt the plastic tote they're in if I put it on the side or bottom?

2. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I tried breeding crickets--it wasn't easy (and it didn't work). Roaches are much easier to breed.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You will need a thermostat for the heat mat to ensure it does shut off if it does get too hot. It would work fine if the temp was regulated with the thermostat. Breeding crickets isn't hard. I bred them for years and it was harder not having babies. I ended up with more crickets than I needed. lol Follow the instructions in our invertebrates section. I wrote it and that is how I bred my crickets.

mshrmheadcharge and ferasaeva like this.
  4. billrogers

Yeah, but I have tree frogs that I need to feed and I would have to get some sort of feeding dish or else the roaches would escape into the cage and start their own colony :) Also, not everyone in my house is ok with roaches in the house, even if they are dubias.

mshrmheadcharge and ferasaeva like this.
  5. billrogers

Sorry, that was a reply to Dan

6. billrogers

You can get thermostats that would automatically shut it off?

7. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I believe a pulse thermostat would automatically shut off. I don't really think you need a heating pad for crickets, unless it's super cold. Also, crickets will stink very bad xD I used to breed them but they smell and are noisy so i switched to dubias

8. Rich

Yes, I wouldn't have suggested them if they didn't exist. ;) You could also use a rheostat. The main point is that you need to regulate the temperatures.

Crickets that are cleaned regularly don't smell as bad as those who left dead crickets in the enclosures. Having them in the garage will help with the odor as well. Just make sure you remove dead crickets when you see them and that there is plenty of ventilation. He will likely need heat @Kristof because he is going to keep them in the garage and as he already stated, the cold months are coming. Please don't give advice if you didn't bother to read the persons post. Virginia gets pretty cold. ;)

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  9. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

My bad, was half asleep when i wrote that :p . Yeah you will need heating then. I forgot places get cold right now as its still 90 here in california.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Rich can correct me on this if it's different for breeding, which I doubt, but when I've bought small crickets to grow out I found the optimal range for fast growth to be 75-80°, and if you want to slow them down, they will live fine in temps down to the low 60s, though they won't breed that low. Heck, they hardly grow at that point. I've had time when I had to buy a 2 month supply, and adults won't last that long, hence how I figured that out.

11. Rich

I would keep mine between 80-90 and had great results. 75-80 would work just as well.

12. billrogers

So a heat mat on the side of a tote would provide ample heat? That way they could move to the other side if they don't like the temp.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's going to depend on exactly how cold the surrounding area is.

Rich likes this.
  14. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm in VA and I don't think a heat mat on the side of the enclosure is going to be enough heat unless your garage has heating. I'd suggest using a large Rubbermaid container with heat mats on the bottom. If that isn't warm enough you can cut a hole in the lid and secure some screen to it. Once it's dry you can use a small heat lamp during the day, a ceramic heat emitter at night. This will also regulate their photo period although I'm not sure how important that is for crickets.
    Edit to add that I have also bred crickets and they are insanely easy to keep alive. Definitely easier and faster than roaches.

15. billrogers

My garage only drop to temps in the 50ºs since its built into a hill, so I figured I wouldn't need too much additional heat.

16. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Maybe, but that's still a 20°+ pull up from ambients at times, which is actually quite a bit. Maybe an old wood cabinet or building an insulated box for the tubs will be in order. Also note that I said tubs, I haven't bred crickets, or read the freshest for a while, but I seem to remember that you have to separate the smaller ones to keep the larger ones from eating them. Now I need to go back and review, lol.