This Disappears When Logged In

Heating Advice For Kingsnake

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by SPruitt22, Aug 25, 2018.

1. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

So I live in Colorado where it gets pretty cold in the winter and wanted some advice for properly heating my Arizona Mountain Kingsnake. I currently have a 100-watt daytime basking lamp and a small 5-gallon heat pad. I have recorded the heat pad getting over 100 degrees so I bought a thermostat to turn the heat pad off when it gets to 90 degrees so my snake won't get burned since he likes to burrow. My question is if I should have the basking light on during the day and the pad on at night or should I leave the pad on all day and night?

2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

For my snakes that have an UTH pad, I use a herpstat with them. If you get a good brand of thermostat, it will regulate the temps all the time so there is no worry about it getting too hot during the day with an overhead light turned on. My particular herpstats I bought have been running 24/7 for about 8 years now without issues. I'm actually worried I'm going to jinx myself since I'm boasting about how little I've had to worry about them all this time, but they are a good investment if that's the type of set up you have

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I would lose the heat lamp and just get a light for viewing. The heat pad will do a fine job keeping a hotspot. If your having an issue keeping the cage ambients up, consider getting a ceramic heat emitter and either another t-stat or maybe a herpstat2, which could run both independently. That would allow you to stabilize cage temps better. You can also look into insulating the cage, which is usually easy to do and will save electricity.

4. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Does it make sense to buy a UVB light? I just bought a Reptisun 5.0 UVB 13 Watt mini compact and was wondering if it would help my kingsnake. It does say it is for tropical reptiles which my kingsnake is not. Should I use it or would natural sunlight work better?

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Take the UV light back, totally unnecessary for your snake. Never used any sort of UV for any of my snakes, including balls, burms, green tree pythons, boas, kings, and corns. It won't hurt anything, but you are just wasting money.

Edited for spelling since autocorrect got me again, lol.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. SPruitt22

SPruitt22 Active Member

Ok, thank you.