This Disappears When Logged In

Heating a Custom Cage

Discussion in 'Heating' started by EmmaGrauman, Dec 27, 2014.

1. EmmaGrauman

EmmaGrauman Member

I just very recently got a 4x2x2 custom cage, and I'm not quite sure what watt bulb to use to heat it. It has two lamps that are screwed onto the top on either side, and i am going to put a daytime heat bulb on one side and a nighttime red bulb on the other, but I don't know how powerful they need to be. The cage walls are all melamine, and there are vents below each light. If any further info on it is needed I'm more than willing to provide :) Also, would a heat pad be dangerous if I were to attach one to the bottom of the cage? It is raised so as to provide space for a heat pad, but it is an area enclosed by solid hardwood. the only inward air would be from a from a big-ish hole in the wood on one side to allow cords to run out.

Sorry for the poor quality photos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

What will be living in there?

3. EmmaGrauman

EmmaGrauman Member

A ball python

4. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I bet that thing weighs a ton.

Normally if I'm doing lights like that I'd put both on the same end, that way the warm end is always the warm end whether night or day. Since it's built the way it is then yes you could put a red bulb on the other end and just alternate them day/night. Balls really need heat more than a basking light though so I'd probably use a CHE or heat panel (with a t-stat).

I've never had a ton of success with heat pads in wood cages, and mine were generally plywood so not as thick as the melamine. I know some of them are supposed to be ok inside the enclosure (like the Flukers ones I have) but I'm always leery of putting them inside where they can get wet. Just seems risky.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Putting a heat mat under a wooden cage will do little to heat the cage.

If it is a stick-on variety, you can apply it to the bottom of a ceramic tile, that way it can move out of that cage if you ever get an upgrade, etc.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

For a ball python, I would just put a couple compact fluorescents or LED bulbs in those fixtures for daytime viewing lighting, and install a CHE in the cage on whatever you want to be the warm end to control ambient temps, and your going to want to close those vents off, otherwise all your humidity and heat will rapidly circulate out of that cage. Dragoness 's idea of putting a heat pad on a tile is a good one. You will be needing a thermostat or 2 if you don't already have one.