This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Tape vs other heating sources?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by zaroba, Nov 7, 2014.

1. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

Winter is coming and I'm considering switching to using heat tape for all my tanks.

In the past I've always used a combination of extra heat pads, space heaters, and had the house heat turned up. But, I was wondering about just buying a spool of heat tape and running it under all my tanks.

Anybody use it with glass aquariums or wooden enclosures?
    Would it be a more feasible route to go?
    Is it even easy to buy a whole spool (ie, 100ft) of heat tape without having to pay by the foot?

or, what about heat cabling used for out door pipes in the winter time?
    Could that be a more efficient and cheaper route then heat tape?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I use heat tape for my racks, but the enclosures are not wood or glass. The rack is wood, and the bin itself is plastic - and it works wonderfully in that application.

When I use heat tape in wood or glass enclosures, I apply it to the bottom of a ceramic tile, and tape it in place, and each cage is heated independently. Tile is removable for cleaning, replacing, etc.

The cable used for heating pipes often comes with it's own thermostat that will only kick the heater on if the temps fall below about 40ºF - may not be suitable for herps unless you can overcome or remove that feature.

I let my house temps drop into the 50s, but I run a ceramic heater in my reptile room, and it stays toasty, also with the help of a south-facing window that gets a lot of sun. Temps in that room remain 70ºF and above.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Heat tape doesn't do much for ambient temps. I have most of my snakes in one room, and I supplement ambients with the use of an oil filled space heater when needed. Then I'm not paying to heat the entire house to what the wife would consider an uncomfortable level.