This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Tape Or Heat Pad For Roaches

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by billrogers, Dec 21, 2015.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

I just got some Madagascar Hissing Roaches, this is the enclosure they're in (20 gal). I was going to put something under the right side of the tank to keep the temps up. First off, is it necessary to have more heat? Will it help them stay more active? I have some heat tape and a small ZooMed heating pad. There's about 4-5 inches of peat moss in there so I don't think the ZooMed pad will be able to do very much. Right now I have a board sitting on top until I can finish their permanent top that will have plexiglass. The board is helping with the temp and humidity to some extent already; at least it feels more hot and humid when I reach in. IMG_8134.JPG

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

A heat pad is just as good if it has a thermostat (which both should have.)
    What are the temperatures? That will help determine if the temperatures need to change.

That sponge is also a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Better to use water crystals.

Kristof likes this.
  3. billrogers

I put a thermometer/hygrometer in their cage, I'll check in the morning. Is there anything that would work other than water crystals? Money is limited. Unless you know somewhere to get them in bulk for cheaper... I would still have to wait a bit, the holidays are cleaning me out.

4. billrogers

I just saw this on Amazon

Miracle-Gro Water Storing Crystals, 12-Ounce

12 ounces for about $9. And in the answered questions they said 1 tbs make 2 liters! That would last forever!

Does it get dirty quickly from the roach's droppings and walking on it and stuff? I tried using plain gelatin with crickets (read somewhere that would work). It just melted and became really gross and full of maggots.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can add small rocks to a water dish and that would work while you wait to get some crystals. The idea is to make it so they don't drown. Rocks prevent drowning. I use the water crystals and they are fantastic.

6. billrogers

I just checked the thermometer/hygrometer and it says that its at 72º and 90% humidity.

7. billrogers

I don't think that either of them have any way to measure their temp, if that's what you mean.

8. billrogers

Is 72º too cold?