This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Panel AND Heat Tape - Overkill?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by CTU2fan, Nov 18, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I'm leaning toward picking up 2 or 3 Animal Plastics T8s (4x2x1). I want to heat them with RHPs, probably 40W ones from RBI. Anyway, one of the options with the T8 is wired heat tape for $35. I'm considering getting it and adding a secondary heat source. Is it worth it, or am I going to be wasting money? I'm kind of thinking that they top 2 cages (they'll be stacked) will get some belly heat anyway from the RHP on the cage below.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What reptile is this for?
    I've heard the RHP work very well.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I'm not even 100% sure what I'm getting yet. One of them will probably be a Boa c. imperator at least for awhile; if the boa ends up getting especially large I will probably move it into one of the 6' Visions I have. The top cage will be a lizard, I'm going to get the cutout for a basking lamp. It's still very "up in the air", I'm looking to have enclosures up and ready before bringing any herps home.

Edit: Definitely using the heat panels, my room temps are between 76-78 95% of the time.

4. kriminaal

You won't need the heat tape for a lizard as the basking light will give you what you need anyway.
    I'm barely a snake guy so I won't even guess on that.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I've definitely been more of a lizard guy through the years myself. Blue tongue skink is a possibility, ameivas are a possibility, maybe uromastyx...I'm open to suggestions. Maybe even a bearded dragon since I seem to be the only herper left who's never kept one.

6. kriminaal

Uromastyx would be my pic out of those mentioned. I've had them all. Bearded Dragon would be my least favourite. Mine was boring. No one thought he was real as he would just sit there and not move.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

The only one I've had out of that group are the ameivas, which I liked a lot. But the uros I've seen were really cool.