This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Mat Question. HELP

Discussion in 'Heating' started by herpsnakesandariplanes, Oct 20, 2014.

1. ok so i got a Zilla heat pad for my 10 gallon tank and its barely heating over 80 degrees. is it a bad pad should i get another brand help new snake looks a little cold.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, we need some more details please. First, do you mean 80°hot spot or ambient temps, also, how is the cage set up and to you ha e the mat on a thermostat? Can't really help until we know what we're dealing with.

3. sorry wrote this in a rush this morning. The mat is not on a thermostat yet. I am talking about the hot spot temperature I add a heat lamp and moved the probe thermometer right beside the hot side hide and its reading 86 but the hot spot is supposed to be around 90. There is about an inch of aspen for bedding in the bottom 10 gallon glass aquarium and your standard black plastic hide. Current heat sources Zilla small heat mat and 100 watt daylight heat bulb and at night 75 watt night heat lamp. The snake is Aura she is a baby Children's Python. aAny more info needed just ask.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Ya, I found that the small Zilla UTH is only good for about 80 too. The larger the mat, the more watts it uses, and the more heat it puts out. The large one under my 55 is on a rheostat to keep it down a bit, while the mid size under the 38 is fine on its own. I use ceramic heater bulbs hanging just above the screen tops to raise the ambient temp and create a warmer basking area for my boas. They prefer temps in the low-mid 80's, usually stay closer to the ceramics after they eat, a bit cooler when they're not digesting food.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, a couple things I see wrong here. One is that the mat is not on a t-stat yet, the other is that your taking the temperatures at the top of the bedding. A lot of snakes will burrow down into the substrate, sometimes all the way to the glass, and those mats can get hot enough to burn your snake when not regulated. And the bedding wil act to insulate the area over the mat, raising the temps even more. Move the probe down so it's right on the surface of the glass, and go by that. And if necessary you can wire up a household dimmer to control your heat until you can get a t-stat. Now as for the heat bulbs you have on top, I'm going to assume screen top until you tell me otherwise. I'm surprised with the wattages involved your not cooking a ten gallon, and even ifthe aambient temps are ok, you have to be sucking all the moisture out of that setup at an incredible rate. Consider gokng to something a lot lower wattage, say 40-50w range, and insulate the tank if needed, foam insulation or even a layer or two of cardboard helps a lot. Cover the back and both ends, cover the screen top with tinfoil everywhere except for where any fixtures go through, and I'd bet you'll find the lower wattage bulbs will work fine. In fact, skip the pet store bulbs and go get an outdoor halogen flood bulb from the hardware store, they do a better job of projecting the heat downward, and are cheaper.