This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Light Goes Out During Winter, What To Do?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by caters, Oct 12, 2017.

1. caters

caters Member

I don't have a bearded dragon yet but I figured I might as well prepare for the worst thing that could happen in its enclosure, the heat light going out in the middle of winter.

I don't know how well grout with sand added for traction would hold onto the heat. I have an infrared temperature gun already. I mean, sand can get very hot but how long does it stay hot? And what about the grout?

I mean, if they don't hold onto heat well, then if the heat light goes out in the middle of winter, I would be the warmest thing around for my eventual bearded dragon. But I have no idea how much skin temperature differs from body temperature in the warmest areas(chest and abdomen).

So anyway, what should I do if the heat light goes out in the middle of winter(besides get a new bulb) to keep my eventual bearded dragon from getting ill from low temperature?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Once the heat light goes out, the temperature will quickly drop. Your best bet is to keep a spare light.
    In the event of power being out, placing a 2 liter pop bottle full of hot water in the enclosure will help. Do not feed until the temperatures are back where they belong as the animal can't digest.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I keep hand warmers for emergencies, also swap the bulb for one of the lights in the house that is similar wattage. Also an electric blanket might come in handy if you still have power.