This Disappears When Logged In

heat lamp problem solved!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by geckoguy14, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

Who says you cant use duct tape for everything?:D
    [​IMG]

i know it looks pretty unstable, but i spend quite a bit of time making sure it was secure, waiting for the lamp to shift the tape and then securing it again...it's not going anywhere. if nothing else it's not resting on the mesh.

a few pics of the reptarium...i'm waiting on another paycheck before i go out and get a small ficus tree or schefflera to stick in there. (sorry for the poor quality)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

LMAO! Well done Adam! :D :D :D

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Gotta love that duct tape....:D...

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I've done something similar to avoid resting lights on screens, I clamped the lamp to a 2x2 and stablized the ends of the 2x2 with perpendicular ones and it worked out great.

5. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

hmmm...love the idea. too bad i was a bit too lazy to get off my bum and get some lumber when i did that:rolleyes:

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Ehhh...well it seems to have worked for you anyways, just store it in your memory for next time!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Adam I wouldn't be too trusting of that set up. The heat from the bulb could soften the adhesive and cause it to release or shift sending your lamp down onto the mesh and possibley starting a fire.
    Something else to watch out for, the heat from the bulb could cause your striplight cover to melt or warp.

8. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

i will be very careful thank you

9. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I would not trust that duckttape steup any further than I can throw it from sitting here at my computer. Furthermore I don't trust the clamps on lamps like this at all but all my lighting is clamp lights.

Both heat and age will kill the tape. Two easy things you could replace this with and trust it more are nylon zip ties (will work under 75 W bulbs) or steel wire.

Or look into a spring arm desk lamp. The ones that I have always worked with will easliy mount to any horizontal or vertical surface and sell for $10 to $15.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

That doesn't look unstable, it is unstable. The heat from both units will slowly soften the adhesive. Its just a matter of time before it lets loose. Hopefully you are around when it does.

If you are allowed, you could toss a hook directly into the wall behind the enclosure and hang the light from that. You could also do as previously stated and create or purchase a stand.

Since you don't seem to mind the tape, you could also do another quick fix. Take all of the tape off and spend 2.99 on a plastic "u" bolt. Drill 2 holes into the plastic of the light fixture and clamp the clamp itself down with it. It comes with 2 washers & nuts which is how it stays in place. That would be far safer than that tape.

You could also just drill 2 holes and run wire in and out of the 2 holes clamping down the clamp itself.

11. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Another simple solution will be to use PVC and make a light bar and stand. It will be only a few bucks but look horrid as any PVC frame will. I quickly put this together to show my idea.

materials:
    1 bolt -- 2.5" 1/4-40 used
    1 hex-nut
    1 locking nut
    1 clamp light
    6 90 degree elbows
    1 pipe 1/2" diameter PVC

All told, without the light, this is between $2 and $3 for the stand.

Drill a 1/4" hole through one PVC pipe where you would like the lamp. Thread the hex-nut onto the bolt, put the bolt through the drilled hole, and tighten the lock nut on the bolt. Attach the clamp light to the bolt head just as it was attached to the clamp.

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

12. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Here's another tip. Attach a metal or plastic bar (longer than the terrarium height) to the reptarium structure (in the corner), bend the top part down so that you end up with something similar to a cane and then you can clamp it there safely.
    If you do it right, it will be secure enough to move with the reptarium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.