This Disappears When Logged In

Heat Bulb Keeps Burning Out.....

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by SammieLee, Jul 16, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Looking for a cheaper bulb for heat spot. They are not lasting very long. Is the timer burning them out? Is there a cheaper way? I am paying about 13 ish a bulb right now and they are only lasting about a month.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just go get regular household bulbs.
    As long as you are not using it to supply UVB a regular bulb will do.

3. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Do I need to buy the clear ones or are the regular cheep one fine?

4. Merlin

It really doesn't matter. All you are doing is supplying heat.

5. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Also what wattage in a regular bulb? Same as I buy in the special bulbs?

6. Merlin

The same as the pet store bulbs. That is one of the big jokes of the reptile world.
    The basking bulbs are really no different than regular household incandescents.
    Except for fancy packaging and highly inflated prices.

7. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Wow I can't believe I hadn't caught on...I only have a 60 watt right now so I put that in to see how hot it gets and ill go buy a new one later today. Thank you!!

8. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Merlin is totally right ^^ UV bublbs and MVB bulbs are the ones that are not the same.

9. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

Kinda like the reptile carpet is just regular old felt that I can buy at my local fabric store for $2 a yard in any color we want.

10. Merlin

It has always annoyed me how many regular items are really no different than what is offered at the pet stores. They just label it as for animals and jack up the price.

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Mostly yup, something else I learned the the hoods for the UV light? Go to Lowe's buy the standard X inch fixture. Save a bunch of money same exact thing. And...lol the reflectors...automotive hoots (like this Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light - Walmart.com ) work just as well as the ones that cost twice the money.

12. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

That is really frustrating....they should not be aloud to do that. I should of figured it out sooner though. They do the same thing with hermit crab shells. You can buy a big bag at a fraction of the price at Walmart. I am starting to really not like pet stores!!

13. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

That is good to know too! :)

14. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

they are allowed because its considered a "specialty item" if you have access and a membership to Sam's you can buy the Member's Mark lights really cheap in a larger pack...last quite a while too. In the winter I have to use night lightly heat so I use regular old black lights from the same department that are 3 times the price in pets. LOL