This Disappears When Logged In

Head Twitching, Possible IBD? *so Scared*

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Vasara, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Vasara

Vasara New Member

Hello.
    I am brand new to this site, and found you all via online searches about possible IBD symptoms. I need advice from people with experience. I'm super worried right now!

I have a beautiful Burm that I recently adopted. He is about 8 feet long. Appears healthy, recently shed with no issues. He eats very readily, and we feed him f/t jumbo rats. (I would actually like to know how often others feed as well)
    Right now he is in the tank he came with, an 80 gallon(?) glass aquarium tank.
    We have a custom enclosure in the works for him to move into soon :) It has a giant pool for him and a basking shelf to climb on.... Anyway he has a small water pool now, an UTH and a basking light. Also a ceramic heat emitter for when it gets chilly. His warm side is around or just over 95. I am using care fresh as substrate.
    He is active and social and loves to come out and interact with us and explore the house.

I have noticed his maybe posturing before- where he is holding his head up and sort of looking up, but never looking directly at a light. Still it made me nervous... Now we are seeing him lower his head and it twitches rapidly a little. Not big movements, but they look very spastic to me. Like a little rapid jiggle.

Please can anyone help me with more info about IBD symptoms especially in burms?
    I have been trying to read all I can about this. And I am going to contact out exotic vet- who is not open until Monday.
    I'm trying not to get myself in a panic over what I am seeing... It's terrifying to me though.
    I do have other snakes here, but I have been very strict about keeping them apart. They each live in different rooms and we never handle one right after another.
    Any advice or experience right now would be very welcome. Thank you.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

How often is this happening? Ibd usually is present more in ball pythons. But, Burmese is a pyython so its possible.

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

I thought IBD was most prevalent in boas

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Either boas or pythons I thought. Unless I'm thinking of something else. What the original poster is describing sounds like star gazing though. Either way, vet is a good idea.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Actually a few decades back the disease was seen initially in Burms I believe. It is most commonly seen in Boas but that doesn't mean that others can't have it. It is not know how it is transmitted though some suspect mites.

One way to find out is to turn the snake on it's back and see if it'll right itself up with no problems.... best way is still with a blood test with a Vet though. Good luck!

6. Devilsgirl93

Devilsgirl93 New Member

My burmese is currently having the same symptoms, I took him to the vet and they did the blood test for IBM - negative. So they put him on antibiotics for 3 weeks and then we are rechecking. Not sure what's going on but I have kepy separated him from the rest of my collection both because he is new and because I was worried about this twitching. If you have any new developments let me know. I will keep you posted on what the next steps are for my kiddo