This Disappears When Logged In

Having Trouble Getting Neonate To Eat..halp

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Kevinw922, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Kevinw922

Kevinw922 Member

So I recently acquired a Neonate GTP 3 days at a reptile expo. It's only about 8 weeks old. I did a lot of research before buying one and read that GTP neonates can be hard sometimes to get established feeding. The guy I bought it from at the show told me it was only eating Anoles and house geckos and told me to transition it to pinkies was to just pull the tail off the anoles and rub it on the pinkie. Well I have done that and haven't gotten any interest in the pinkie at all.

He did bite at the anole but then just realeased him right away. Haven't had any interest since after that. The humidity is about 60% atm in the cage. Temp is 85 on the hot side and 78 on the cool. The cage is a exo terra 12x12x18. I was thinking about transfering him to a tub until he gets a little bigger. Anyone thoughts/suggestions to get this little guy to eat. I really do not want to have to force feed.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It may just need more time to settle in to its new environment, 3 days isn't very long. You might also contact the seller and get their advice, I have GTPs but haven't had to deal with any that young yet.

3. Kevinw922

Kevinw922 Member

That's what I was thinking is he might need to some time to adjust to his new enclosure. Im just a little worried and hoping I can get this little guy eating.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Relax a bit, the snake will eat when it's ready. When I had 2 litters of Dominican mountain boas born in 2016 one of the babies didn't take it's first meal for weeks. Then it went for almost the first year not eating more often than it did take an anole, while the rest were happily chowing them down weekly. I rather expected it to die along the way, then for no apparent reason it started eating normally, and quickly caught up with the rest in size.

5. Kevinw922

Kevinw922 Member

When I offer food again should I keep trying to offer pinkies or anoles you think?

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Maybe go with the anole to get it established eating again, then try an anole that was scented with pinkie, then an anole scented pinkie, then just the pinkie. I've had success on this method with stubborn ball pythons that would only eat African soft furs. Asf, rat scented asf, asf scented rat, plain rat. Can't promise anything, but that might be a good way to go about it.

7. Kevinw922

Kevinw922 Member

I guess my other question is how do I offer anoles to my GTP? Do I hold them with tongs or should I put them both in a seperate container?

8. Kevinw922

Kevinw922 Member

So good news I offered an anole and he attacked it right away. I first tried feeding the anole on tongs but everytime my GTP would strike at it the anole would bite him and he would let go. So I feel bad for how I did this but I put the anole in a plastic container and put him in the freezer for a few minutes till he died then warmed him up in some water and my GTP had no problem eating him.

9. toddnbecka

I fed my baby Dominicans live anoles at first. Then one developed a horrible infection, (blind in one eye and head was deformed) apparently from being bitten on the face by an anole. After that I simply put the whole shipment of anoles into the freezer when they arrived, and fed them f/t until they were switched over to rodents. Sooo much less trouble than maintaining live anoles for several weeks between shipments, as well as no risk to the snakes.

10. toddnbecka

When I switched the Dominicans to rat pinks I put a few frozen anoles into a blender with some water and made "soup" to scent the rat pinks. Worked on all but one, that particular snake still refuses to take rodents at almost 2 years of age now. Had to be switched to day-old quail chicks long after the rest were taking rodents, now eats regular chicks. GTP's are bird eaters by nature, you might want to try the quail chicks once the snake is big enough to eat those. You can also use them to scent rodents if you want to switch the snake over to those, or you can simply buy larger sizes of quail, and eventually chickens, as the snake grows larger.