This Disappears When Logged In

Hatchling 3-Toed with Abcess

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Thalatte, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Last night I noticed that Eanie , the 3-toed ornate hybrid(guessing), had an abcess on his front elbow. I hadnt noticed it on Saturday or Sunday. Has anyone seen anything like this?
    He has a veterinarian appointment on Saturday morning.
    009.jpg 008.jpg

oh and here is the nursery:
    010.jpg
    The end with the food is at 75-78 and the other end gets into the low 80's with the front corner at 85-88.

2. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Years ago, I picked up an adult female 3-toed from the middle of a busy street intending to release her on the family farm. She had a very similar looking abcess on the inside of her right front leg way up high nearly under the edge of the carapace. Having come from an urban area, she was not shy, which gave me ample opportunity to check things out once I got her home. It appeared that the abcess was very thinly skinned and mostly fluid. Reptile vets were unheard of here at that time. So, I just cleaned a sewing needle and pricked the very edge of the pocket while holding the needle parallel to the limb to prevent going too deep. The usual nastiness ensued. I applied Betadine ointment a couple of times a day and soaked her several times a week in a Betadine/water bath until she healed completely. I ended up keeping her for about 2 years before she was finally released. I believe that her condition was caused by a thistle or thorn.

I am not suggesting that you take matters into your own hands. If I came across a similar situation today, I would most definitely consult a vet. It could have been anything, I just got lucky! At the time, I just had that strange gut feeling that I was supposed to help her out.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah I won't do anything tilt he vet checks him out. At the very least it is a good chance to get him weighed and measured. Plus I am taking my CWD to get measured to see how much weight she has gained.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well turns out he had an abscess on his tail as well. Seems like the tail was bitten off and got infected a touch. As for the arm, it appears either dislocated or broken and that may be causing the abscess. Don't know for sure as I didn't get X-rays since their was nothing they can do for it because he abscess needs to drain so they can't wrap or splint it. Good news is he seems to use that let without any noticeable pain. So I got an antibiotic to put on both abscess and he will be kept in sterile condition while they heal and the break should heal on its own.

5. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Glad to hear that he is going to be OK! Thanks for the update!

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah he will be just fine I think. Every time I go to apply medicine he bites me! Youwould think one of us would have learned by now...

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck with your little guy, hope he gets better