This Disappears When Logged In

Has Anyone Every Tried....

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Rockstar2011, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Rockstar2011

Rockstar2011 Active Member

Has Anyone Ever Tried....

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Minwax Polyurethane sealant directly over sanded grout. I was going to paint over the grout originally, but since the grout turned out to be the color I was going for I was thinking about just sealing directly over the sanded grout.

I just want to make sure that the polyurethane is going to seal the way it should.

All help is really appreciated, Thanks!

2. Rockstar2011

Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried....

Well I did some research and could not find any info on whether or not coating polyurethane directly over sanded grout would seal correct. So I decided to run a test coat on the bottom side of the background. I will let that dry for an hour or so and see how its looking, I will be sure to post the results.

3. Rockstar2011

Where is Merlin when you need him LOL

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried....

Hi :)
    I'm not sure about the Minwax Polyurethane sealant, but the person who made my Burm enclosure used something called Miracle 511 to seal the grout and tile and it's amazing! It didn't change the color at all.

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Do you have pictures, Aja? I've never heard of Miracle 511.

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

7. BarelyBreathing

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Should I put up better ones? :)

9. BarelyBreathing

If you don't mind. I just want to see how it cures (shiny, matte, dark, light, smooth, rough, etc)

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

No problem at all!

I would say it dries matte. It's completely water proof, water just pools on it.

He's in shed
    PC240446.jpg
    PC240445.jpg
    PC240444.jpg
    PC240443.jpg

Attached Files:

11. BarelyBreathing

Hmm. I think I may just try that. It's not giving you any problems at all? By the way, even in shed, Monty looks good. :)

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! :) He's a beautiful itchy blind snake at the moment lol

No I haven't had any problems at all. I do wish we had used a different type of grout though. It was incredibly hard to clean off and I eventually gave up. But I don't think Monty cares.

The sealant has held up to his urates (and copious amounts of other fluids), and makes cleaning up the messes he makes so easy! A little goes a long way with it too. And if I am remembering correctly, you can use it on multiple types of material.

13. BarelyBreathing

14. Rockstar2011

I will take a few pics of the background I am working on and post them tomorrow. I was a bit skeptical about applying the polyurethane directly over the grout, but I coated the bottom first to test it and it seems to work perfectly fine so I went ahead and finished coating the whole background.

I will take some pics of it in the morning when it is dry before I do a couple more coats.

15. BarelyBreathing

Yes, pictures!

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was out all night delivering toys!;)
    LOL! I don't have the answer to everything!

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Delivering toys! :)

18. Rockstar2011

Well Merlin if anyone ever asks if its possible to polyurethane directly over grout, the answer is definitely yes! The polyurethane dried perfectly fine and still kept the texture and the color is exactly the same as before the coat of polyurethane.

Pictures will be posted tomorrow for sure, sorry I just did not have time today, was way to busy with Christmas!

P.S. Merry Christmas Everyone, hope you all had a great day!