This Disappears When Logged In

Hardy/handle Able Frog/toad?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by DustinQ, Jul 26, 2013.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I posted this last year and got some great responses but never ended up committing to anything finally have some time again to consider getting into the amphibians. I'm looking for tolerant amphibians for kid shows. Absolutely love red eye tree frogs but the one I had a few years ago didn't last very long. That basically sums it up if you don't want to read the rest lol
    Thank you
    But here's the original post

Would like to get a frog or toad to add to my collection for the education reptile shows that I do for schools and parties. So I need it to be able to handle a bit of stress that is envolved with frequent transport in a vehicle (packed in a small container) and the obvious stress of many children looking at it. I know that most/(maybe all amphibians) should not be handled because of how absorbant thier skin is. Is there any particular species that isn't affected/bothered by frequent handling? I never let other people handle the amphibians (just the reptiles) and only pick them up to place them one a wet plate for the audience to get a closer look at them while I brought them around. The only amphibians I've had were a Red-eyed tree frog and a gray tree frog. (not sure how old they were when I got them but they only lived 3 1/2 years from the time I had them) I probably cut thier lives short with all the attention but I think the red-eye was killed by a spider he was encased in web. don't know if spiders prey on pre-killed or not?

I have very little knowledge or interest of amphibians myself. But feel it is key point in educating about reptile to show/explain the difference. Any suggestions on species for me to research that are hardy and preferably lower maintanence than red-eyed frogs.

2. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Looking for something really big if possible. I know now that marine toads are toxic so not tHinking about those anymore

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Pacman frog. I'm sure as you know these guys are very slow and lazy so showing them off to children wont be so hard however they do stress easy so I'm not sure how they would handle the trips.

Whites tree frog. This species is a very laid back species as adults and do great for handling. They don't stress that easy so I feel like they would do great on the trips.

Waxy monkey tree frog( Phyllomedusa sauvagii). This is a species I would love to get my self some day and have benn planning on doing so for years now lol. Though I have never kept them I have talked to breeder and successful keepers and I feel like my info on them is pretty accurate. This species is a very slow moving frog and very easy to handle. Its very easy to find Cbb these days as well. The care fore them is more like a reptile. basking spot, uvb and low humidity. I have no clue on how easy they stress though.

African bull frog (pixie). Also slower moving. And HUGE! But I'd also suggest using bedding for the terrestrial species to allow them to burrow while on the trip.

All amphibians absorb our oils through their skin. But wearing latex gloves will help with that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Ya, I think bull frogs are your best bet. The African or American ones are big and eye catching. They are pretty durable, though maybe not quite as pretty. Leopard frogs are pretty good too and a little more interesting looking. T

I think I would stay away from any type of tree frog. They look much prettier of course, but really arent going to hold up well to the types of things you are introducing them to. I think youll find that all their lives will be cut short by that activity.