This Disappears When Logged In

Handling WD

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by BobTheWD, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheWD

BobTheWD Member

I'm having some issues handling my Water Dragon. Its not that he is aggressive or even runs away when I pet him, its that he makes ME nervous by giving me a death stare when I even attempt to pet him. How should I go about getting him comfortable with me petting him and then eventually holding him? He eats worms out of my hands and has never bit me. I think the main issue is that neither of us trusts the other yet as I have only had him a few months and we are still getting to know one another.

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

"The death stare?" LOL!:D I know nothing of water dragons, I do know people, perhaps it is your interpretation of the event and not the actuality? They really have a hard time changing their expression!;) My Leos always seem to be smiling~Nobody is that happy! I think you are on the right track understanding that it is a comfort and trust issue.

3. BobTheWD

BobTheWD Member

Haha my boyfriend have termed the other look we get the "side eye"..I should try to take a picture of it in action- truly hillarious!

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I know both stares very well lol Buddy gives them to me all the time. Don't be afraid of his stares, as long as he isn't pulling away from your petting continue doing that for a while and he will start to trust that you are not going to hurt him. When you feel comfortable that he trusts you you can start holding for short amounts of time in his enclosure (like just before you feed him gently pick him up and pet a minute or so, then put him down and feed) Eventually you'll be able to hold him for longer because he'll trust you (altho Buddy likes to explore so he'll only sit still on me for about 10 minutes at a time until bedtime)

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My CWD is fine with me around, but she gives Grey an eye (she only has one good eye) each time he is within sight, she fixates on him, and freezes up like she expects him to eat her! I don't know why she hates him so much (or is afraid of him). I can handle the CWD when he's away, and she's fine, and curious. If he's in the room, she turns a mucky brown, and stares at him, and tries her hardest not to move.

It isn't a familiarity issue - another friend of mine who she has only met once was able to handle her fine, with no color changes or stares.

6. BobTheWD

BobTheWD Member

Today I got a good shot of the "side eye" I was talking about..made me laugh!!
    jsnfci.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

very cute. He looks like he's trying to be tough.

8. musicman

musicman Member

I my limited experience it seems they would rather retreat than engage but I guess they could bite, and at time they will kinda stare you down. I really wouldn't worry too much about it though.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have had the same general feeling - my CWD is very skittish, and when I first got her, she was a mess, and needed lots of work. Vet trips, exams, meds, etc, she was always getting bothered, and at first she would thrash, and run, and try to hide, but never once bit me, she was always focused on escape. She is to this day a very nervous creature still.

10. BobTheWD

BobTheWD Member

Well the good thing is that Bob seems to be getting better with me. I pet him all of the time now, and he just sits there. His breathing stays pretty consistent as opposed to before his breathing was heavier whenever my hand entered the cage. I'm proud of the progress we made! As long as he is comfortable in his cage, eating well and healthy that's all that matters to me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.