This Disappears When Logged In

Handling Uromastyx Is Bad?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Boxraddict, May 13, 2016.

1. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I have a yellow niger uromastyx, and he is as sweet as can be, he wants to crawl all over my hand, up my arm and shoudler, He seems to at ease and I've had him for 2 days. He seems to really take everything in stride and wants interaction...BUT upon research I have come to find it is not good to handle them and that you should only observe them. If a uro is tame, and friendly, what is the reasoning behind this theory?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

No idea really, sound like the usual internet bs to me. The last one I had was similarly calm and inquisitive, he was actually a retired classroom pet that I picked up. He would climb up my arm and eat greens from my hand if I let him. The only issues I could see would be if the individual was all that tame and the handling was causing too much stress, or if the sessions go too long it getting too cool away from its environment. Of course those things apply to pretty much any reptile, and I'm not aware of any specific issues with uros.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It may also be a difference with regard to whether a specimen is wild caught, viewing humans as a big scary monster that wants to eat it and a captive bred animal who associates humans with food and other good things.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. My male Sudanese will do the same thing. He always wants out and crawls all over me. The female however is quite the opposite.
    I've had Nigerians and Mali's as well and while some like attention they seem not to like to be held motionless for very long.

5. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

I have a Moroccan and he's basically the devil. I love him to death but I'm convinced he would kill me if he could.