This Disappears When Logged In

Handling New Baby Milk Snake- in Serious Need of Advice.

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Evanastacio, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Evanastacio

Evanastacio New Member

Greetings fellow reptile lovers!

This is my first post sooooo...yea

Im some what of an experienced reptile owner I've housed leos, I own a ball python who is great and tame.

the problem I come to this site with is with my baby pueblan milksnake.

I bought him back in December so it's been about 6 months now and the little guy is terrified of me

I'm aware of all the ways to try and hold snakes to get them to trust you but this little guy(he is 9 months old now) just runs and runs and runs and wiggles his tail and just has a heart attack when I go near him, when I'm doing something on my computer(hes on my com. desk) he will look at me with curiosity it seems and if I look back at him he backs up, or if I put my hands near him on the glass he still freaks out. I have had some success in holding him I've probably held him for a few mintues about a couple of times but the last time he jumped out of my hand and a chase gave way.

Well that's it, I want this guy to like me before he gets big...any advice guys???

-Evan

2. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Time, patients, diligence, Time, Patients, diligence, rinse and repeat.

All you can really do is just keep trying little by little. Be patient give it time. He may eventually come around, or he may never come around. But the more frequently you hold him the more he will begin to recognize that you are not a big scary monster trying to eat him.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

A lot depends on their size as well. It takes time and a bit of size for them to get over the whole "giant scary thing gonna eat me" phase. Start by keeping the sessions short, no more than a couple minutes, then as it starts to calm you can gradually lenghten the time. And when your holding it make sure your not gripping it tightly, that will just reinforce the whole predator/prey feeling it has. Just let it crawl through your hands, even if you have to do it in the cage. They can be wiggly little things, so be patient.

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Your computer is giving off some heavy vibrations if it is on, and this will increase his nervousness, so I suggest not putting him on anything that is electronic and running, or having his enclosure on the same table as a running unit.

Apart from this suggestion, What Darkbird said goes for me too, but I would add that the snake is a baby reptile and needs gentle and not so much handling. He may learn to be less nervous and tolerate your handling him eventually, but as to "liking" you - that's more for Sesame Street. My opinion only. Others do differ, it's an old argument!

Some pictures would be great, of him and/in his enclosure. What and how often are you feeding him?

5. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Along with what every one else said, milk snakes from my understanding are just flighty snakes in general. I could be wrong as I haven't researched them in a long while. Sorry my reply is so short and probably not helpful

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Colubrids in general are more mobile during handling than, say, pythons generally are. It can be a bit intimidating for a new keeper. I have a honduran at home that is extremely wiggly, but has at least stopped trying to turn around and bite me, lol.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

It's kind of cute when baby milk snakes bite....their fierce little faces look so adorable as they sink their little teeth with such harmful intent into your finger. lol!