This Disappears When Logged In

Halogen to Incandescent Wattage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan01, Dec 6, 2014.

  1. Dan01

    Dan01 Established Member

    Incandescent bulb wattage to halogen/spotlight?

    My basking bulb just broke-the 4th reptile brand basking bulb I've tried in around a month. I want to go normal bulbs now (like from a hardware store). And of course, normal incandescents are going exstinct. So what wattage halogen bulb would give off about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt incandescent? I would really like to know soon because my Beardie is living without a proper basking spot.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Dan01

    Dan01 Established Member

    I know almost nothing about lightbulbs, so if halogen doesn't give off much heat, would a 100 watt spotlight give off the same heat as a 100 watt reptile brand basking bulb?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Hi, what size and type of enclosure is it and what are the usual ambient temps in the room during the daytime?
    I highly recommend using halogen bulbs for creating basking areas, you absolutely MUST use the flood beam NOT spot (the beam is too narrow in the spot type and can easily cause burns), also, a ceramic bulb fixture is required.
    When you give the details I ask for I`ll try and recommend a suitable wattage, though they can be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the surface temp much easier (or obviously you can raise/lower the bulb/basking object).
    Edit: "Normal" household incandescent bulbs are not at all suitable for creating basking spots because they direct heat all around rather than downwards.
    Can you put a couple of photos up of the whole enclosure?
  4. Dan01

    Dan01 Established Member

    He is in a 40. I'm planning on upgrading a lot soon.


    Room temp is just below 70 F right now and on average this time of year.


    I just stacked up bricks until the surface temp was right. But with a 100 watt incandescent the temperature gradient was right. I haven't ever seen a dimmer switch. Can you just get them at any hardware store?

    The floodlights are mostly incandescent, right? Their wattage/heat ratio would be the same right? I've wasted a lot of money of fancy reptile brand junk and don't want to waste much more on trail and error. Thanks.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    Thanks for the photos, this is an example of the type of bulb you need, I know the brand is available in America so you should be able to buy them on eBay.
    As you see the side/top is covered to direct the beam/heat downwards which is entirely different to a normal household bulb.
    The "High-Spot 95" only refers to the diameter of the bulb face (95mm) they are both flood beam.

    Edit: You will never be able to stabilise the temps or humidity with a screen top, you need to cover it as completely as possible. Why are you using newspaper instead of a "proper" substrate such as a playsand/soil mix which is entirely acceptable for an adult?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  6. Dan01

    Dan01 Established Member

    To make it easy to replace. He was high in coccidia. His poo is very watery, and this makes it easy to clean.
  7. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Actually newspaper is a perfectly acceptable substrate and there is nothing wrong with using it other than it may not be as visually appealing. It facilitates keeping the cage clean and, as in this case, helps with treating parasites.
  8. Dan01

    Dan01 Established Member

    I got a floodlight. I wasn't the brand you suggested, but I just wanted to try it. The beam is very narrow, in the middle of the basking place it is 113 F, two inches out it is 100 F and on the outer rim of the basking spot it is 89 F. It all used to be about a uniform 107 F. Does the brand you suggested have a wider beam than a normal flood? Is it worth ordering online when I can just get another halogen flood anywhere?

    By the way, I'm taking the temps with a temp gun, one designed for checking for checking a humans temperatures but also has a function to check an objects surface temps.
  9. Darkbird

    Darkbird Elite Member

    Make sure you are getting outdoor halogen flood bulbs. It should have a waffle or checkered type of pattern on the lense portion, and it should say "flood" somewhere on the package. Almost sounds as if you got a spot bulb. Also there are different par values, which is a measure ofnhow wide the beam will be. You want one that is par38 or about that, it will spread the heat around better.
  10. murrindindi

    murrindindi Elite Member

    I agree with Darkbird, you may have got a smaller type halogen, I recommend either a par 30 or par 38 (flood beam).
  11. Dan01

    Dan01 Established Member

    It is par38 Flood. I guess I would have gone with a different choice if I had seen the price tag. It was sitting no where near any other light like it. Thanks on you advice, it probably save me a decent amount of money (I've spent around 50 bucks on light bulbs in the space of time I should have spent around 5-10 for a decent one). Thanks from a guy who doesn't have an infinite amount of cash to experiment with.

Share This Page