This Disappears When Logged In

Halogen And Flood Lights

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by John Edward Ginn III, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Do halogen lights or flood lights provide uvb for a reptile?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No, they don't. In fact they are specifically designed not to as excess uvb is harmful to humans.
    Only those bulbs specifically designed to produce UVB do so.

3. Okay, my next question pretains to.my hognose's lighting. He is in a 5 gallon breeder and Im not sure what is a good wattage for a light bulb to heat up the tank to 90-95 temp. Can anyone help with this?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Dump the light and get an under tank heat pad and a thermostat. A infrared temp gun would also be a good investment, as it's the most accurate method of checking the hot spot temps. A cheaper alternative would be to use a dimmer of some sort to control the heat pad, and use a digital thermometer with a probe to measure the temp. This is not as accurate though, and will not compensate for variations in room temperature. Hognose don't require any special lighting so long as there is some ambient daylight in the room to give them a day/night cycle.
    Back to your beardie, I would recommend the halogen floods for basking, and some sort of high quality florescent for the UV needs. I'm currently using an Arcadia T5HO tube in my 2'x2'x4' enclosure. Another alternative would be to use a self ballasted mercury vapor bulb for the baking surface, as they provide both heat and UV. The downside with those is that they are usually longer than the regular flood bulbs, and they have a minimum safe distance to the bulb surface that must be taken into account when mounting. So unless you have a very tall setup, you'll have a hard time getting the bulb far enough from the baking surface.

John Edward Ginn III likes this.
  5. I have a 5 gallon under tank heater, that I put on the side of the tank and I have a temp gun. The enclosure is still only around 76 degrees. Should I put the mat under the tank and will that result in making the whole enclosure the required heat. Or should I get a bigger heat mat? The one I have now covers a 3 quarters of the tank.