This Disappears When Logged In

Halamahera Island Boas

Discussion in 'Solomon Island Boas' started by toddnbecka, Jul 15, 2016.

1. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I just received a young pair of Halamahera Island ground boas. Another species of Carinata, though I'm not actually sure which one these are. They're set up is sterilite tubs with cypress mulch substrate and sharing a large ultratherm heat mat w/out a t-stat. The warm spots are in the upper 80's, cool ends are 75, so I figure they should be fine the way they are. So far neither one seems to want to lounge on the heat, the female is soaking in her water bowl and the male has been perched on a shelf near the led of the tub. I put a small 3 tier corner shelf (rubber coated metal) with plastic canvas cut to cover the shelves for a more comfortable arrangement. I use those in all my smaller snake setups for anything that likes to climb. Also provides a vertical heat gradient over the warm end, with a piece of eggcrate foam on the bottom to provide dorsal contact cover directly over the warm spot.
    23abf522-836a-4a34-959f-749f2436092f_1.45d0a3df70be9e6d1bb1fa66deb1c8dc.jpe
    No clue whether they're WC imports or CB, got them from someone on FB who said she picked them up at a Repticon. Then a few days later she mentioned that the male had gone off eating after being shipped, and had to be offered a feeder lizard before he would go back to mice. Sooo anyway, I'm told that the female is feeding on small adult mice or rat pinks, and the male is taking 3 pinky mice each feeding, we shall see how it goes after they settle in. Sunday is my weekly feeding day.
    They were a bit cooler than they prefer on arrival, consequently I didn't expect them to be very active, but they do seem to have very calm dispositions. Sort of a cross between a mini-boa and a ball python as far as general activity level so far, lol.
    From what I've googled they seem to be pretty similar to the Solomon Island ground boas in general, though a couple references stated that the wee babies are easier to get started on pinky mice than other species.
    I'll post a few pics after they settle in and I take some. Any helpful advice in the meantime would be appreciated.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They are very likely WC, but CB is possible (though very limited, last I knew)

Mine had subcutaneous worms, and the vet had to surgically remove them on more than one occasion. Simple enough, but a sure sign that it is wild caught. Oral wormers like panacur (fenbendazole) will only catch what lives in the gut - anything that has migrated will not be affected by oral medications.

I kept Candoia briefly, and mine never ever enjoyed the warm end of their enclosure at all,