This Disappears When Logged In

Had to Share... Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Cryssy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

Since I've gotten Cace I've been hearing all sorts of horror stories, but I wanted to share this one, because I thought it was ridiculous. This story was told to me by one of my cousins...

According to my good cousin there was a lady in Martin's Ferry, OH who owned a boa or python that she let roam her house at will. She slept with it every night and noticed that as it grew, it would stretch out beside her instead of curling up next to her as it did when it was smaller. The lady went to a vet (cousin was vague in mentioning if it was even a herp vet) and asked why her snake was doing this. Said vet told her that the snake was doing this to 'size her up' to see if she was too big for it to eat. Of course she stopped sleeping with it and everyone lived happily ever after.

I mean, really?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You will be amazed at the stupid stories people will try to tell you.

When I was a child I had a book that was supposedly amazing facts about snakes.
    The two favorites of mine were the reason that milk snakes were called that is because they would actually latch on to a cows teats and suck milk from them!

And then there was the dreaded Hoop snake! It would take its tail in its mouth and roll like a wheel, chasing you!
    And these were held out as true facts!

3. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

Wow! Those are incredible. How do such stories begin I wonder? Surely someone didn't just decide to say 'hey, I have no idea if this is true or not but I'm going to say it anyways because everyone knows less about this than me.'

4. Ares2010

Ares2010 Active Member

Cryssy, part of the story might be true.. lets say probably the part about her letting the snake roam around her house at will. She might have had her house "snake escape" proof.. however, I find it hard to believe she actually slept with the snake.. That might have been something someone along the way added to the story. It's amazing the **** people add to stories LOL.

5. Merlin

There is a lot of folklore regarding snakes. Many people are suspicious of them because they are so alien to our way of being. They don't understand them so they make up things that to their mind explains things. Then they tell it to someone else who tells it to someone else and the next thing you know its a proven fact!
    Regardless of how absurd it was to begin with.
    And then there is the whole serpent in the garden that led us astray bit.:rolleyes:

That in itself would be a red flag that the story was bogus.
    Unless the house was kept at tropical temperatures, the boa would not have lived long enough to grow to adulthood.

6. Ares2010

Ares2010 Active Member

That's true Merlin.. however, I have heard of other people that have very large areas of their house they let their snakes roam around in.. however, it was climate controlled.. so.. who knows what part, if any, of that story is actually true.

7. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

I was recently told that same story and it was about a friend of a friend here in the Dallas area. The sad thing is my friend believed it until I explained how that story is so far from possible.

8. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

It makes sense, just never fails to amaze me, I guess. I like to question things, am not satisfied until I have a well rounded view on whatever it is that catches my interest, it's hard to see that others don't always share that obsessive curiousity. Ah yes, dang us women, lol.

target1911: So did my cousin until I explained everything I've learned about snake behaviors/needs.

9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I still run into things said that are untrue. You really have to be head strong and be able to see through what is NOT real or true, then add some common sense. It is amazing what people want you to believe!

10. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Gee, I thought it was sleeping with her teenage daughter to, "Size her up." You know the whole "innocent child" thing to make it sound creepier. Hey did you hear about the guy that woke up in bathtub full of ice? He found a note, "call 911." and an incision where his kidney was (formerly) located! Yep, my former DDS boss told me this story and believed it!! Urban myths- so entertaining!

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

"hoop snake chasing you " lmaoooooooooooo Merlin, your killing me!
    The one I've heard is that huge snakes will regurge just to eat again, eat YOU that is!
    *laughed too hard my tummy hurts*
    Hahahaha

12. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

I heard those stories to :p My friends choose to believe them and i was always like who would sleep with a snake anyway?

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Merlin, you and everyone else would be surprised to hear that to this DAY I am still being told about milk snakes and yes even the resourceful hoop snake. Just yesterday I was told someone was about to crawl under a house and when he opened the crawl space door he found... "OH MY GOD!!!! A 15 FOOT EASTERN DIAMONDBACK RATTLESNAKE"!!!!!!!! I told the lady she needed to call Guinness because the EDB tops out at around 8 feet. She pulled out a photo on her phone to show me, I said the only way that snake would be 15 feet long was if the guy holding it on the hoe for the camera was 10 feet tall himself!

Someone else told me (with a straight face mind you), that water moccasins had a pouch in their throats so the could swallow their young if danger came around!

Boy, the uninformed people you meet up with.

14. Merlin

Yes I have heard the bit about snakes swallowing their young.
    And water mocassins can't bite underwater.
    And an injured snake will die before sunset.
    Snakes always travel in pairs so that if you kill one the other can hunt you down and seek vengence!
    Hognose snakes can blow venomous vapor at you!
    And don't look directly into a snakes eyes! It will hypnotize you and make you unable to move while the snake kills you.

The things people believe!:rolleyes:

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh great! I was thinking about getting a hognose, now I'm not sure I want a snake that can blow venomous vapours at me!;)

@ David that is too funny, a 15 footer! I think they would have broken the record for the 10' man and the 15' Eastern Diamondback!:eek:

16. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Yeah, I have to admit some of the stories are so unbelievably inane, it is almost impossible to keep a straight face while TRYING to give them factual information (which they WON'T believe).

Mld I actually had to go to a site specifically dedicated to debunking reptile myths before she would believe ME (a relative no-body that does nothing to do with anything but snakes) - granted I don't know or even pretend to know everything about snakes, but give me a break me.

17. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I've heard this one too.

My favorite one is when I was in Mexico, a guy told me that sidewinders will actually spin like a top when provoked, that's how they got their name, and the venom is strong enough to make you fall apart so they can eat you piece by piece. (I laughed so hard that I fell down the dune)

On the same sailing trip with my cousin, while docked in Venezuela, a couple had been living in the marina. They told us that if we planned to camp while there, beware of the anacondas for they will CHEW through the tent just to eat us.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I heard the myth about the person sleeping with their snake, both in Florida (from a zoo employee, no less) and from a waitress here in Michigan. Always a Friend of a Friend. Sounds credible right?

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That story has made its rounds. I heard that exact same story from several different people over the years. lol

20. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

I haven't heard the others before, but I've definitely heard this one. It was this story that made me fear snakes until I turned 14 and got a brain lol It's a pity that it took me that long.

Side note: Did anybody catch 'Super Man-Eating Snakes' on animal planet by any chance? Because the title is definitely misleading from the actual storyline and point of the show. Wanted to know how everyone else felt about it.