This Disappears When Logged In

habitat webcam monitoring

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by kriminaal, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hey all you computer techies(not me). I'm wondering about using this software to monitor breeding projects in my enclosures
    Blue Iris - Home
    But no idea what I would all need to make this work. Like would I need a static ip or what?

2. 504boi

504boi Active Member

i read the specs from the website, it doesnt say anything about a static ip. the program may just use the ip address that the computer gets once its online. it should work, thats how the security cams work at my job. each camera has an IP address. i wish i knew them!

3. kriminaal

I've been toying with the idea of getting the software for a bit now. One of my issues would be hooking the web cams to my computer which is nowhere near close.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why bother with a third party server at all? You can buy wireless webcams that can transmit to a base that is 500ft away. (likely further than that.)

If you have it stored to an online harddrive, or even a partition harddrive on your pc, you could access it with remote access if you have it configured properly.

Walking you through all that would not be a possibility. lol You will need to research each step. ;)

5. kriminaal

Sounds interesting. I was hoping someone would tell me exactly how to do it without any research at all. Isn't that what HC is for?:rolleyes:

6. Spikes the name

Spikes the name Elite Member

Try an IT Forum They would most probably help you and give it to you step by step just to show off.

7. kriminaal

Good idea. I did get a link from a friend of mine on a free service that allows you to tap into your computer over the internet.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! You DO get that feeling from time to time don't you!:rolleyes:

9. kriminaal

Yeah time to time that's a good way to put it.lol
    Anyway I remembered a friend of mine is a computer tech whiz. He looks after the computer systems for 4 hospitals. He sent me a link for this website. www.logmein.com
    I need a 20 ft USB cable yet for my webcam but I believe it's going to work very simply. I can access my computer over the internet and turn on the webcam to have a looksee.

10. Spikes the name

great stuff.
    let us know how things progress..:)

11. kriminaal

Shoot that was easy. Works like a charm. I did a test run just of my office at home and it works slick. Now I just have to run the USB line to my enclosure. I'm told 20 ft is no problem and won't need a USB power hub at all. My only issue is our crappy internet at work is usually slow. But as long as I can get some images it's good enough to show me what's going on and where to dig for eggs.

12. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Now he's NEVER going to get any work done! :rolleyes:

By the way, at what length does a USB cable need booster?

13. kriminaal

When I picked up my cable they said they were running their webcam at 30ft and had no problem. A very cheap webcam might have an issue though. My issue is half the time our internet at work, slows to dial-up speeds. But I can still what's going on I guess.

14. Spikes the name

Are you going to watch real time or record and watch it after?
    If you are thinking about recording..
    Can your webcam take a shot every 2 seconds or even longer? that way you get 24h onto 12h space and you can flick through the images quite quickly..;)

15. Spikes the name

This is how they do the security at the banks.

16. kriminaal

I've been checking out the settings on my camera and I don't think I have that option. It will take pics but only manually. I might have to get a different webcam since with my slow connection pics would be a better option.

17. The JD

The JD Elite Member

I'd recommend checking out camstreams.com

I use them for the webcam for my snapping turtle (Sorry, the laptop it runs off of it currently down so the feed is down, otherwise you can find it here http://thejd.camstreams.com)

They'll host your webcam for free, although it has a limited bandwidth (Basically you can only shoot a specific resolution and only a certain amount of people can view it at a time), however you have easy access for not only yourself, but anyone else you want to share it with. However it'll probably be a little more complicated if you use a router at your house because it'll require port forwarding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.