This Disappears When Logged In

Gut-Loading Earthworms

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Ahura, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Does anyone know how to gut-load earthworms (dew worms). Are they a good feeder worm?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Are you raising them or just buying them from somewhere? (and i don't know what dew worms are but i do know what earthworms are :p)(i'm going to try red wigglers with my CWD)

3. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I think I am just buying them from a supplier. Anyone have any techniques on gut-loading? An earthworm i believe is also called a dew worm.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well, I know earthworms eat decaying vegetable matter so the only way to "gut load" them would be to raise them and feed them the vegetables you want your herp to eat. And you can give them crushed egg shell for added calcium. But, the earthworm's are already a good staple as they are high in protein and low in fat and you can just dust them with calcium every other feeding and vitamins once a week.

But from what i've found out from doing some research on earthworms most suppliers only sell in large quantities so you'd have to have a container with some type of suitable substrate and feed them so they don't die, so, you just feed them what you want to feed your herp (no animal product scraps tho)

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My dragon loves worms! And they are a decent source of calcium on their own.

Check with your local bait & Tackle stores, they often stock earthworms and crickets. I get my worms and crickets from my bait store, and it's a lot cheaper than the pet store for either one.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

All bait shops around here only sell the big ones and Buddy's still to small for them so i have to go threw a plant nursery to get the "red wigglers" and he won't eat them yet (going to try again tomorrow as today was the first day i found any small enough for him) and if i can get him to eat them i'm just going to start a compost bin and i'll have an endless supply.

7. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Thanks guys! I can special order them from a friend. They come in compost-like dirt and i will put some vegetable matter in it. I will dust them with calcium and vitamins as well.

8. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.