This Disappears When Logged In

Guess which one had UVB (sad pics)

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by rugbyman2000, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

Many reptiles, especially diaurnal herbivores, have a need for UVB rays from the sun which give Vitamin D3 which is valuable in metabolizing calcium. UVB rays can be attained for captive reptiles in one of two ways. Allowing your reptiles to bask directly in the sunlight at least a few hours a week is ideal. Glass will deflect UVB rays so it is important to provide direct basking, not just putting the cage by a window. If you can't provide direct sunlight, synthetic UVB light can be purchased at your local pet store.

UVB light bulbs usually run around $30, and many pet owners wonder if it is a necessary expense. Take a look at these two tortoises and decide for yourself. One had a heat lamp and heat pad its entire life. Its temps were in the correct range, and its diet was not too bad, but it was deprived of UVB light (both natural or synthetic) for a few years. As a result, it did not metabolize calcium properly and its shell is greatly deformed. The other
    tortoise has spent much of its life roaming in the natural sunlight or under a synthetic UVB bulb indoors, and has developed a wonderful shell so far.

Can you guess which is which?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the above picture you will notice that the shell is so deformed it does not come all the way down in front. Normally a sulcatta could pull its head in and block any opening in the front of the shell with its legs. Because the front opening is way too big this poor tortoise repeatedly "tries to hide" but can never cover his head for security.....it is probably a terribley stressed out animal as a result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you ever wondered how important UVB is for your herps, I hope these pictures will help you see the awful things your herp could go through without it.

Cheers,

2. venus

venus Founding Member

That is so sad...Poor turtle..Just goes to show the importance of uvb :(

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

poor guy. I know its a bit late for the sun, but at least he is outside now and in better hands.

4. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

hopefully there has not been any internal damage as a result of the shell deformities. It did have heat elements and shows no sign of resp. So in the best case scenario, I try to think of it as: "3 bad years down, 97 good years to go.:) "

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good example pics Jessie! Thanks

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Glad to know he found his way to a knowledgeable owner.

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Oh man Jessie that is awful, My Oscar looks like he is in excellent condition compared to him. I have definately fallen sucker to my Oscar, and sulcatas, lol. I think they force you too:D He has a Mega Ray which his pattern is just like clock work now, he wakes up and walks right to it then spends about 4 hours basking then walks around like a bulldozer throughout the house causing all kinds of hate and discontent, lol then eats and eats, and did I mention eats! It is nice to know you have him! Good luck with him and keep us posted. Poor guy!

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow poor guy! at least he's in better hands now and looks to be enjoying a good life in a nice place. good luck! :)

9. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Thanks for the visual; you know the saying "A picture paint a thousand words".

10. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Growth in reptiles, from my experience, requires UV. However my adult skinks have never once run into a problem. Not to mention certain ones can get oral D3 supplements.

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

WOW! Even the "good" tort has a mild case of pyramidding. My heart breaks for the one with a severe case.

Good job on getting them out into the sun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.