This Disappears When Logged In

green tree frog?????

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by dragonmage, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonmage

dragonmage Elite Member

I recently purchased a tree frog. The pet store owner tells me it's a green tree frog, but I dont know. What is the difference between a green tree frog and a whites green tree frog?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post a picture of it? Then some of our frog folks can ID it for you.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

green treefrogs are much smaller and have a white stripe going down the side. A green treefrog will only be about and inch or two long, full grown. A whites treefrog is about 4 times the size and no white stripe. Do a google search, they are very different from each other.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Grrr, I hate this computer. I was going to reply yesterday, but had problems. Anyway...

First off, White's tree frogs, Litoria caerulea, are just that, they're not actually called White's green tree frogs. They sometimes go by the nickname "dumpy tree frog" as well, due to their appearance. In their native Australia they're more commonly called "green tree frogs" (as are many other species around the world) or Australian green tree frogs. The name doesn't typically follow them abroad though and White's tree frog is the accepted common name elsewhere.

White's tree frogs and American green tree frogs, Hyla cinerea, are probably the two most commonly seen tree frogs in pet stores, but they are very different. White's tree frogs grow much MUCH larger...enough to eat a full grown American green. They're chubbier in appearance and have a different range of green colorations that they can take on. Green tree frogs have white or yellow lines that White's lack. White's tree frogs have a "fat roll" over their tympanum (ear drum) and have shorter snouts relative to body size. American greens can also have a slight texture to the skin, which White's lack. Price is another difference, with White's tree frogs usually being more than double the cost of an American green. In my experience, greens are usually $7-$10, while White's are anywhere between $15 and $30, depending on where and how large it is.

This is a young White's tree frog:
    http://www.massasaugaimports.com/pics/whites001.jpg

This is an American green tree frog. Note the white stripe along the lip and side of the body and the slight texture to the skin:
    http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/amphibians/images/la_green_tree_frog.jpg

Now there's another possibility. You may be confusing White's tree frogs with white-lipped tree frogs, Litoria infrafrenata, which occasionally go by the name "giant tree frog" or "giant green tree frog". They too are from Australia and look like huge versions of American greens, or almost like a cross between an American green and a White's. They're not that common in pet stores though, and their white line stops on the lips. It doesn't follow their body:

White-lipped Tree Frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

Furry.

That was some good information!

Andrea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.