This Disappears When Logged In

Green Tree Frog Skin Question??? Discoloration?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by newbie2013, Nov 14, 2013.

1. newbie2013

newbie2013 New Member

Here's a little back story, my neighbors were vacationing in South Carolina and were unpacking their car when they found a stowaway in their luggage. Being the good neighbor and not wanting the frog to be stuck in the Pennsylvania winter, I took him off their hands and set up a nice little habitat for him. His name is Balls because he has a pretty big set for taking a permanent vacation from SC to Pennsylvania.

His housing is an 18x18x18 enclosure with coconut husk as the substrate. I currently have a 100w CHE and Fluorescent 13w bulb. The CHE pretty much runs all day and keeps the enclosure around 68-70 degrees all day and night (normal house temp is quite cold during the day and gets to about 66-68 once we return from work) I run the fluorescent light 10-12 hours per day.

In the past 2 days I noticed his skin is turning a grayish color yet nothing has changed in his housing or feeding schedule or anything. I typically feed him approximately 15-20 medium sized crickets per week, dusted with a calcium supplement. The humidity is typically around 50%.

I have googled everything under the sun and can't figure out if his skin color is normal or not. He was a vibrant bright green and it would change depending on what he would sit on to a darker green color, but the color he is now seems suspect to me.

I have attached pictures, can someone please please please tell me if this is normal or not? The 3rd picture is just a snapshot of his housing. The other 3 show his possible discoloration. IMAG0306.jpg IMAG0305.jpg IMAG0308.jpg IMAG0307.jpg

2. 0Amy0

0Amy0 Well-Known Member

How are you measuring temps and humidity? You need to get them both up! The temp needs to be in the mud-upper 70's and the humidity around 60% but could go a little higher even. It would help if you put some live plants in there to keep the humidity up also. Green tree frogs can change color and be ok, but it can also indicate stress.
    Eta- you could also provide a basking spot, I know there is mixed opinions on this, but my girls bask under a 60 watt every day.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. 0Amy0

0Amy0 Well-Known Member

I typed that up quickly from my phone and am now coming back to edit (again)! I have a 40 watt light on my tank, NOT 60 as I wrote before. My tank is also 23 x 20 x 24, so I wouldn't put that strong of a light on yours. The color of my girls (eastern grays) has looked a lot healthier since I added that light to my tank. I do only use it about 5 hours a day though, during peak sunlight hours. I cannot remember the brand though, normally I save the box so I know what I got before and I can't find it.