This Disappears When Logged In

Green Tree Frog - Leg Severed!

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by zetec7, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

Our fat, healthy green tree frog just had one of its hind legs almost completely severed by the gecko that shares its tank. It appears to have been a case of mistaken identity, thinking the little twitching thing around the corner was prey :eek:. Now the leg is dangling by a thread at the knee joint. I'm assuming it's best to pull off the remainder, and treat the joint with something (I've had great success with Sulphadizone in the past). We're hoping not to lose him. He still seems to be hopping around, leaping from tank side to tank side without problems at this point.

Anyone have any other ideas?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

UGH. You MUST separate them. Geckos and green tree frogs are NOT house mates, because this is what happens. Put him in a hospital bin, a small one. Use only paper towels as substrate. Put Neosporin without pain relief on it. Or, you can just put him out of his misery all together.

What sort of gecko did you have him with? I can't think of many geckos that would even do well at the temp the green tree frog would need, or visa-versa.

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yikes!! He is probably leaping from tank side to tank side because it hurts like ****!

Follow Liz's advice, she knows her stuff. Geez, he needs a vet trip immediately, this is no home-remedy fixer upper!!!

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Your frog NEEDS a vet. NOW!

This is exactly why we tell people not to house multiple species together. I doubt that it was a case of mistaken identity but more of a hungry gecko with an available food source given to him (the frog).

And I have to add - It really bothers me that you don't seem to care that because of you this poor animal is now minus a limb and could possibly lose its life.

5. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

You would think that reptiles being specialty pets, you'd have less of this type of thing.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

"Pulling" the rest of the leg off sounds like it could to far more damage. It should be surgically removed by a vet. (At the very least cut it with a VERY sharp sterile blade.)
    PLEASE take the frog out and put him in a separate container from the gecko! As mentioned, the conditions (temperature/humidity) each animal needs to thrive are very different. They should not be housed together at all.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

And that frog has to be in TONS of pain. How would you like it if YOUR leg was mostly severed off, in say an auto accident. I'm going to find you on the side of the road, just pull the rest off, and toss some antibiotic ointment on it.

Do you see the problem with that logic?

8. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

I should have known better than to ask here for help. It appears that all there is here is flaming and recriminations.

I've seen it so many times on this forum, that I won't be coming back for help and advice. I'll just have to figure it out on my own. I would have thought that there'd be expertise here, and a genuine desire to help the creatures we're looking after. EVERY time someone comes here asking for help, they get attacked instead.

Obviously, many of those who spend their time here care more for flaming people asking for assistance then they do for the creatures we're trying to help.

Some of you genuinely wish to help. For the rest, maybe it's time for you to re-examine your motives.

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Well, you came asking form help on something that YOU could have prevented. You alone should have known better than to mix species. Yes some can be mixed, but it requires experience, time, and research. Yes it sucks about your frog. Then again, why would you not take it to a vet? That was the easiest and simplest thing to do. We can not work miracles over the interwebs. Also this is far from flaming you. Have better luck other places if you wish. I doubt other forums would have taken it lightly. It is animal cruelty if you want forget everything else. Yes you could have prevented the frog from being attacked. So have a good one and good luck with the frog. Which needs to get to a vet.

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Okay, I have not responded to this thread until now. However, I am going to examine my motives for you. My motive for responding to this thread is simple. Your frog needs help, I do not imagine that there is anyone on here that can help your frog, because I am unaware of any vets on here at the moment. Even if there was I imagine that they would tell you to get that frog to a vet immediately, as there is nothing that can be done for it on a forum/computer. Your frog obviously has tendon damage, muscle damage, and the list goes on. I know there is no home remedy that can fix that.

I do agree that the frog has to be in immense amounts of pain and could use a prescribed pain killer from the vet, along with some surgical procedures, antibiotics to prevent infection and gangrene that could possibly set in and kill him. The fact that he is hopping around really means nothing, they still have wild animal instincts, In the wild a hurt animal is prey for others, so it is not good to sit there and do nothing or you are someone's lunch. That is natural instinct.

As far as flaming, I see no flaming towards you, they are telling you, your animal needs to se a vet now! I am telling you it is cruel to leave an animal to suffer like that. That is not meant as flaming.

I am sorry you came here for home remedies to fix a bitten off leg and found none. But, lets look at this realistically. If humans have a severed leg do you know of any home remedies to fix that? If a dog has a severed leg, do you know of any home remedies to fix that? Or how about a cow, a horse, a donkey, a bull, a cat, or anything for that matter? I am probably going to guess no. We have people in our society who know how to fix that, doctors, vets, and so on. The only reason they know how to fix that is they went through years of school, training, and hands on experience, unlike the rest of us who have no vet or doctor training.

So the most humane thing you can do for your frog ,is get it to a vet who has the training to help the poor little creature. If money is an issue, try calling a reptile rescue, who may be able to help your frog.

My best wishes to your frog!

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I intentionally avoided this thread when I first read it because I couldn't think of anything constructive to say. Now I have no choice but to post.

You stated you won't be coming back because everyone here flames you. You clearly have no idea what flaming is. I would advise you to post this exact post on a few other larger forums around the net. You will learn quickly what people think of you and how you house your reptiles. You will learn quickly what flaming is all about.

You have a frog with a severed leg. What advice did you think you were going to get that did not include "Go See A Vet"? Did you really expect one of us to have an answer other than that?

Seriously?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.