This Disappears When Logged In

Green Rough Snake Question

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by RLW1963, Sep 29, 2018.

1. RLW1963

RLW1963 New Member

I have a green rough snake who's still fairly small. I feed him crickets every couple of days and his appetite is very good. He's active and in very good health. Tonight when feeding him, I watched him lunge for a cricket, miss, and get a mouthful of wood chip. I've seen him in this situation before and he's always been able to get the wood piece out of his mouth. This time he ingested the piece! It was about the size of a small cricket, but he maneuvered it in his mouth and...down it went. Is there any danger to him doing this? I'm guessing he's done this before unseen by me; and the snakes in the wild probably do it every once in a while too. But I wanted to check for my own peace of mind.
    Thank you!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully it won't be an issue, but I do prefer to use substrate material with small enough pieces that they won't have an issue passing through if some get ingested. It might have been a good idea to intervene in this case and keep the piece from going down, but nothing to do now but wait. If it stops eating and defecating you will need a trip to the vet, probably for surgery to remove the problem.

3. RLW1963

RLW1963 New Member

Thank you for the response. He ingested the wood early Sat evening. As of Wed afternoon, he is active and appears happy. He's actively going after crickets as well. Has he passed the danger point yet?

4. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

No saying for sure but I'd assume based on the normal activity you're seeing that it should be fine :) Just keep an eye out for unusual behavior and like Darkbird said, if the snake stops eating and / or defecating you may have an issue.