This Disappears When Logged In

Green Iguanas in my backyard!! (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Padfoot, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

Hello all...

Today I went out to my backyard to feed Charlotte and Valentina (dogs). Charlotte, who usually likes to jump on me, kept running to the backyard and cry at something... I went to investigate and right there on top of the fence was a huge huge huge green iguana. I went back in, took my camera and went back and took the picture. I was at a distance of around 5 feet from her. 8)

[​IMG]

Now... when I was taking this one, I heard some branches on my neighbors backyard move. I looked and guess what? Another one! This one was at about 20-30 feet from me. 8)

[​IMG]

I thought you would like to see these pictures. hehe

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Nice :) Look ta the spikes on that guy! Man, I never get anything more exotic than a pigeon in my yard :p

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Yes, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking Florida???

I know here in Jersey there are no more green leaves. LOL

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Think further south ;)

6. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

LOL... ya... further south... a bit to the right.. surrounded by water... but part of the US. 8)

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Costa Rica?

8. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

Nop... Costa Rica is not part of the US... nor surrounded by water... but the name was close....... ok.. I'll tell you.. Puerto Rico

9. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

That's what I meant, I just misspelled it. lol

10. tmnt lotr fan

tmnt lotr fan Member

wow that is so cool.... the only reptile i have found in my back yard is a black rat snake (one of my fav snakes).

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow awesome pics! thanks for sharing. :)

12. MiamiE

MiamiE Active Member

thats awesome. wild iguanas in puerto rico!

13. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

well.. from another point of view is not that awsome... since green iguanas are not native from PR... a couple of years ago there was a pet iguana fever and many many people buyed them, just to release them after they got tired of them or they got too big for their 10g tanks... and since climate in PR is good for them, they reproduced and now are everywhere. Luckily they do not compete for food with our own Mona Island Iguana (cause that one inhabitates Mona Island and green iguanas have not reached there).

14. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

A very good point Padfoot!

PR is plagued with a feral iguana population that will reach pest status before too long. Feral iguanas can devastate the native flora, damage the native fauna by consuming their natural food source and sully the local species (Cyclura cornuta stejnegeri, or commonly Mona Island Iguana , 1,500 in the wild and currently endangered) species through in-breeding.

All the more reason to constantly work to educate the public on iguana care and proper husbandry before they pick up that cute little $10 iglet or win one at the local fair.

Thanks for sharing that important insight with us Padfoot!

15. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

WOW, they are sooo cool, looks like jurassic park shots, they are brill, love em, all I got in my back yard is a garage lol, no room to swing a cat so to say.

16. MiamiE

MiamiE Active Member

the ones i have in my yard dont look like that. theyre more prehistoric looking.

17. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

Why don't people just hunt them? I realize that sounds kind of barbaric, but they're a non-native species who have thepotential to cause serious damage to the local ecosystem.

18. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

hmmm.. I don't know... hunting isn't really a big sport here... I know that people do catch the babies and sell them to pet stores, who sell them to people... who end up mistreating or releasing them again.. so it's a vicious cicle.. hehe

19. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

20. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

Wow! that's a lot darker! I've seen more brownish ones... but not as dark as that one! 8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.