This Disappears When Logged In

Green Iguana Tail Broke

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Eansmom, May 18, 2018.

1. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

Hi I have been noticing the end of my iguanas tail looking extremely dry and dead for the past wk or so and it looks like it is starting to move upwards on her tail. Well today after I got home from work today I notice he tail broken about a good 4 inches or so and is still slightly attached. Also it does look like there is a little bit of blood and an open wound. Shes about 5 now and I have never seen this happen before. Just trying to figure out what I should do, would it maybe be best to let her soak in a little bit of warm water in the bath or do I need a vet??? Kinda stuck with it being friday night and can not get ahold of a vet until Monday if that is the case.... thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tail has been damaged, likely due to a tail whip. Can you post a closeup of the injury. The broken part will need to be removed if it doesn't drop on its own. A photo will help me to advise farther. And it will likely regrow but will look a bit odd.
    Do not soak it.

3. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

That's how it looked last night. The bottom portion is still hanging on this morning but it does look like the wound has closed up some. I'm just worried about infection as well now. I'm going to scrub and clean her cage xtra well today but prolly going to wait a lil while because shes been relaxing all morning and I dont was to stress her out she hates getting her cage cleaned. (Lol) also I'll try to get a better pic today once i bring her out thank you for your reply.

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I think the problem will have been there for some time, the tail wouldn`t degenerate to that degree in a week or two? Until you can get the lizard to a vet in order to amputate the tip (not a difficult procedure) and prescribe antibiotics to prevent any infection spreading, you can apply a diluted iodine solution @ ten parts water to one part iodine, apply once daily and keep the wound dry. The tip should regrow, although it`s likely to be a darker colour which is purely cosmetic.

5. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

Ya it has been getting that dry dead look for quite a awhile now but it was only about an inch or 2 (that has happened before where the tip dies off and just grows back I was told before that is normal... is it not? ) within the past 2 weeks or so the dead and dryness started moving up on her tail and then yesterday come home and notice it broken... thank you for the suggestion with the iodine I will get some asap. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what would be the best/proper way to apply it after diluting it? Should I put it on with a q-tip, cotton ball or wash cloth or just drip it on to the end? Is the dry dead part of her tail, tail rot?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If they break the tail by a few inches it normally will regrow, the most important thing is to make sure the remaining part doesn`t become infected, otherwise it can continue up into the body (causing death). Amputation is a simple procedure for a decent vet, often just a local anaesthetic. You can apply the diluted iodine with a q-tip/similar, do not rinse off and as mentioned keep the wound dry. Getting the iodine is urgent.
    No it`s not tailrot, just the result of an injury.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, ran out of time... when the tip was damaged the blood supply wouldn`t get through so the tissue dies off.

8. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

Ok thank you so much for all the help, my son and I have been extremely worried and unsure what to do but I will get the iodine now and start applying and try to get her to a vet Monday.

9. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

Sorry just thought of another random question but should I be feeding her anything else also other then her normal salad mix? I read somewhere you should give them other supplements other then the normal mixture when they are injured is this true?

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The only thing I would advise is to keep the temps at the high end of the range during the day, also don`t allow the ambient to drop much below 80 f for the time being during the night.
    I`ve never heard of offering different supplements, what are you offering now? What type is the UVB bulb/tube?
    I want to add this; the tip looks as if it might fall off any time now, even if it does you still need to make sure there`s no infection so a vet visit would still be necessary. Keep the iodine solution going until the vet visit (again, just dab once per day).

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you show the whole enclosure?

12. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

Ya I'm at Walmart right now I will take a pic when I get home had to wait to get a ride to the store to get the iodine. It's an XL dog cage tho. I'm not sure about the lights I'll have to ask my husband or see if it says mb on the bulb itself when I get back. And I've been getting here variety of salad mixes that you can buy at the grocery store that's has an assortment.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can I ask what the climate is where you live and the usual conditions in the house/room the iguana`s kept in?

14. Eansmom

Eansmom Member

We live in Southern California. We do have 2 cats and n itty bitty dog they dont bother with her but she isn't to found of them. It is usually pretty warm inside as well.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok a couple of points. First, you mention the damage has been moving up the tail. Is this something that keeps happening? If so this is not normal. I suspect that the problem is the bars on the dog crate. The iguana slaps the bars and causes damage. Possibly tailwhipping at the dog and cats.
    The packaged salad mixes are generally lettuce, which is not what it needs. It needs calcium rich leafy greens. Your staples are mustard, collard and turnip greens. Add a bit of fruits and vegetables.
    There is no reason to add different supplements other than the usual vitamins and calcium.
    What are the temperatures in the cage. That dog crate really isn't big enough.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, unless the conditions in your home very closely resemble those in the wild, keeping the lizard in a wire dog crate may not be suitable at all? Can you tell me the usual ambient (air) temps in the room the crate`s in, plus the humidity range (day and night) and what you use to measure those plus the basking surface temp?
    I`d also like to ask for the brand and wattage of the UVB bulb and exact distance from bulb face to closest surface of the animal when basking under it?

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Any updates?