This Disappears When Logged In

Got my first retic!

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Mattersmore29, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Mattersmore29

Mattersmore29 Member

Hello Herpcenter, so i have had ball pythons and i have a boa now. i dont breed, nor do i want to breed, so i will keep my collection small so that i can have ample time for my reptiles, so i brought home a retic today, i am in awe about the power and beauty of my retic. i dont know a single person close to me that has a retic but i know that i am experienced enough to make the next step. after much research i made my purchase of the retic that i wanted. i need tips on my first few weeks on having her. i have read everything i possibly could before i got her but having her now is much more humbling experience and a new level of respect for such a powerful creature (and she is only 5 foot so far). i know basic care, but tips on getting used to a snake that is much more active than my other species of constrictors would be much appreciated.
  2. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Welcome and congrats on the retic, they're awesome.

Beyond basic care which you can find out about in the care sheets, some things you will notice are the strength and alertness of that python vs. what you're used to with you bp's and boa. For example I could (I don't, but I could) simply hand feed my boa, or more accurately put the rat in by hand and watch my boa calmly approach and eat it. I wouldn't do that with my retic. She's very aware of what's coming at feeding time, and she hits it pretty quickly. I'd be risking a bite hand-feeding her, and once she's full grown that's real trouble.

They're pretty intelligent it seems. I've never taken a bite from either of mine, but part of that is reading them and their body language. It's not hard to tell when they're "hunting", and when they are you'll want to be careful.

What's his setup like, and what are your plans for his adult home? Is he eating prekilled prey?
  3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center.
    Feel free to show us some pics of your little giant.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. Mattersmore29

Mattersmore29 Member

Thanks for the info and i will post some pics soon. she is 50% sd 25% dwarf tiger possible het for albino. she is a little over 2 years old and 5 foot in length. she is in a 4x2x2 cage with a radiant heat panel and a herpastat 2 thermostat, 2 hides and a good sized water dish.i am a carpenter so i build all of my enclosures. i am letting her get settled in for a few days until i feed her, and then a few more days after that i will begin to handle her for short periods of time.
  5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

We need pics! Lol. I've not yet owned one of these, but from what I've learned about them over the years, I would describe them as having colubrid-like activity levels with the giant python size, and more intelligence than either normally exhibits. Not sure if that's right, never having owned one, just my impression. Look into hook training too if you get a chance, might be very useful in the future. Seems to be helping my little burm.
  6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I'm curious to see where she will end up size-wise, genetically she's got the full spectrum from super dwarf to dwarf on one hand to the generally large tigers on the other. Definitely post some pics, I'm curious how she'll feel about handling, some of the dwarf locales don't have the best reputation temperament-wise but I suspect a lot of that is based on the original WC imported ancestors rather than CB snakes a few generations down the line.