This Disappears When Logged In

Goodbye Jacket..

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Flint, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a baby Irian Jaya Carpet Python from LLLReptile at the Reptile Super Show in San Diego CA. I had him set up in a 20 gallon tank, rock hide, water bowl, coco husk substrate, large worm wood climbing branch, and silk plants for cover.

Temperatures were 87-79 (warm side-cool side) and humidity was maintained at 75-50 (right after spraying - right before spraying).

I left him alone for the first week, just spraying and changing the water. On sunday I held him the first time. He was very jumpy, lots of S-Curves in the neck, but he never actually tagged me. Once I got him out he calmed down a bit. Still jumpy, but not so many defensive displays.

On Tuesday I fed him for the first time, and he took the fuzzy readily. I left him alone until Thursday when I brought him out again. He was still jumpy, but bringing him out wasn't quite as stressful as the first few times.

Friday, I went back to feed him again. The first fuzzy I gave him was roughly equal to his width, and I've read that pythons are more suited for prey items slightly larger than their bodies.

When I found him in the cage, he had passed.. Temps and humidity still read as they always did. Nothing else had changed. There was substrate packed into his mouth, and his jaw and neck were rigid. The muscles were locked. The rest of his body was completely limp. He was partially buried in the substrate, which was odd as I had never seen him under the substrate before. I took my other snake to the vet that day just to have him examined if anything had been passed to him. Snakey checked out fine luckily. My vet thought it might have been a neurological virus that Jacket had from the breeder. I spoke with LLLReptile and they were just as baffled as we were. She said his temps were a bit low, but seeing as he ate just fine on Tuesday that he was doing ok with that.

So LLLReptile has agreed to give me store credit for half of what I paid for Jacket. I may pick up another baby, or just wait until the LA Pet Fair in august, and pick up an adult as I will have the larger enclosure prepared by then.

Sadly I did not have very much time with Jacket.. I was planning on getting him his general vet check-up and fecal done soon as I could be sure he wouldn't attack the vet. I can't help but wonder if I made a drastic mistake somewhere.. I really just want to know what happened.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Jacket! :( The vet is probably right, don't be too hard on yourself.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm very sorry :( I've lost pets very suddenly before without reason and I think its a lot harder not knowing what went wrong.
    Did he get to eat the second fuzzy or had he died before you got to give it to him? I'm wondering if he accidentally ate some of the substrate when he was fed and that is why he had it in his mouth.

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like a seizure. How frustrating! I think you can rest assured that you were not the cause of his passing. I am sorry for your loss.

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

No he was dead when I found him in his cage Friday morning. I also feed in separate container for that very reason. Luckily the pet food store took the fuzzy back, my friend wanted to keep him so I had to explain that they still need mothers at that stage lol.

Thanks guys for your support, it really means a lot. I hadn't thought of a seizure. That would make sense as too why it happened over night. If it were some kind of neurological virus like inclusion body disease (I *think* that's what it's called), I would have seen symptoms over the past week at least right?

Thanks again everyone.

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy to lose a pet, and it is even harder when it is a new young "supposedly healthy" pet. Sadly, without a necropsy, you may never know what it is that caused him to pass so suddenly. Odds are, if it was IBD the symptoms would have shown up sooner ( I don't know how it affects younger snakes), by it stargazing and having a difficult time staying upright. I may be wrong and if I am, someone with more experience with diseases in young snakes pleased correct me. I hope you have MUCH more luck with your next one.

7. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Sometimes an illness can not be changed, keep your chin up!