This Disappears When Logged In

Good retic feeding schedule?

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by CTU2fan, Feb 19, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I know there are as many answers to this as there are retic keepers, pretty much. I'm just curious what people feel is a proper feeding regimen both in terms of frequency and prey size if I want to raise a healthy snake. So not stunting or "keeping its size manageable", and not powerfed the way some are, to where it looks like someone wrapped an anaconda in retic hide.

Currently my little female is about 40" give or take (she doesn't exactly hold still) and weighs 290g. When I got her she was a bit shorter and a lot lighter, she was very thin, I started out feeding her a couple adult mice but she's since moved up to small (50g-ish) rats, which are appropriate for her girth, and I've been feeding her every 5 days (with a 10 day stretch when she shed). Now that she's filled out a bit I'm planning on regular weekly feedings but I wanted some opinions on that.

This isn't my first retic, but it has been about 15 years and I didn't keep records then anyway, I just fed whatever I had on hand when the snake was hungry. That process worked for me then, but I'm trying to do a bit less "winging it" this time around.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Your right, there's definitely more than one answer to this question. Weekly feeding won't be an issue right now, but eventually you'll be down to bi-weekly and then probably monthly. It also depends a bit on the growth rate your looking for. I'm not talking about power feeding or even being in a hurry to get a snake up to breeding size, but there is some leeway in what a healthy growth rate can be. For example, last year I went ahead and got another burmese. Now for me it will help if she doesn't get huge this first year, so I'm typically only feeding her every 2 weeks. She's still having a nice growth rate, while not growing as quickly as she safely could. This gives me more time to work with her while on the smaller side, and also more time to get her adult caging planned out. But I could just as easily be feeding her weekly and have her a lot bigger by now. I want time to calm her down too, she came to me very feisty, and I don't want her to be too much to handle later.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea I'm definitely not looking to grow a monster. I will probably scale back to 10 days and then bi-weekly once she gets a little more weight on. No rush...she'll be wanting rabbits soon enough as it is.