This Disappears When Logged In

Good Petstore-Bad Petstore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdamD, Aug 19, 2014.

1. AdamD

AdamD New Member

I had an interesting experience this weekend. I went out pricing supplies for my enclosure set up and went to 2 stores in my area. One was a local place which started out with fish and expanded into birds and reptiles. The lizards are set up one or two in each cage, which is usually a 24X24X24 cube, except for a Uromastyx and Basalisk which were in 48X24X24 setups. I thought some of the enclosures might be too small, and they didn't have a very big selection of care sheets/literature, but they did inform me every animal was captive bred. The Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos are bred in-store, they display Adult specimens of the juveniles they sell, and they actually had adequate space for a russian tortoise.
    Then I went to Pet Supplies Plus. In this store they also had cubes- but only 8-10 inches. They were keeping things like milksnakes in that cramped area. Also, species were mixed, a pac man frog appeared to be expired, and the cages were filthy. The Coup de Grace was a snake with obvious calcium deficency advertised as a 'special needs' snake(!). Another Genius idea was stuffing a cockatiel in a 12X9X9 cage, with no room to spread it's wings.
    The real kicker- these places were across the street from each other. I'm sure that the manager could have an incognito look at
    the local place, realize their mistakes, and right the situation. But no, obviously they don't care. Frankly I am considering reporting them to the SPCA.
    Now, the local place wasn't optimal, and I am sure there are lots of things to complain about-the Uromastyx cage should be longer, for instance. But at least these people actually care about the animals. In short, one pet store needs some improvement, the other needs an intervention.
    At least I know not to shop at Pet Supplies Plus.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry this was posted in the wrong section. The mods should move it.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Pet supplies plus is a franchise type operation, and I've seen the full range with their stores. My local one hardly ever carries any sort of reptiles anymore, which is probably for the best. And I never expect a pet store of any type to have perfect caging, they do have some limitations on space usually, and they have to make some money to stay in business. The mon-n-pop place you described seems to be one of the better ones I've heard of. And how do you get a calcium deficiency in a snake? Or was it just kinked, which is usually a birth defect?

3. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Something to keep in mind is that a lot of people that work at the large chain petstores (PetSmart, PETCO, Pet Supermarket, etc.) know how to keep herps but are mandated by corporate policy to maintain them a specific way under penalty of termination. This isn't to say that some of the people aren't completely clueless, and any herp they owned or kept would have better luck in a shoebox with a handwarmer. My wife works at one of the big two and it drives her and her coworkers insane. Like dark bird said, they have to trim overhead for profit and they're banking on the idea that they'll move the animals quick enough for it to not matter. Unfortunately, the big companies get huge shipments in and they end up sitting in over-crowded cubes for months at a time and then get refilled when they get half full. My local pet shops are good with their snakes and big lizards but make me wanna walk out with some of their smaller ones. Uro's with no basking spots and things like that. I guess it's luck of the draw.