This Disappears When Logged In

Good Kit?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by AngelaWolfe, Sep 18, 2017.

1. AngelaWolfe

AngelaWolfe New Member

Hello, I'm new to the website. I've been thinking about getting a leopard gecko as a beginner. But before getting I will have to get a habitat for him/she first. I have no clue what should I be looking for so I looked for a leopard gecko kit, I found one that interest me at petsmart. I know some companies just want to sell their products and not care for a good/safe habitat for the animals so I would like some opinions on this kit. Is it safe? Is everything needed in there? Enough space for the leopard?

Zoo Med™ Reptihabitat Leopard Gecko Terrarium Kit | reptile Terrariums | PetSmart

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

You can keep leopard geckos in a 10 gallon, but I highly recommend a 20 gallon long so it gives them more room to move around. Don't put them on loose substrate. And the need a heat mat not a heat lamp because the are nocturnal. Unless you put a infrared lamp in there

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't waste your money. Those kits are full of substandard junk.
    Leo's are nocturnal and do not need a uv light. And they should not be kept on sand. The analog thermometers are junk and inaccurate.

4. AngelaWolfe

AngelaWolfe New Member

I'm getting the things I need only (heater, hide, ect.)
    I need help with one thing, what brand of vitamins should I buy? ( already have the calcium)
    The only pet store that is near me is petsmart then petco that is a 4 hour drive, I can buy things in ebay too.
    Can anyone recommend one and send a link?

5. Merlin

RepCal is a respected brand.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  6. AngelaWolfe

AngelaWolfe New Member

Thanks! I have seen repcal at petsmart, look good. I didn't know it was a pretty good brand.

7. Merlin

I have used the RepCal supplements for many years.

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I like repashy, as another option of brand for vitamin supplements.

9. KelleyB

KelleyB Member

Be sure to get a thermostat to plug your heat mat into to so that you can control the temperature. I'd also make sure that your supplements include a multivitamin, calcium WITH D3 and calcium WITHOUT D3. I leave a little dish of pure calcium in with my boys, and I when dusting I mostly using +D3, occasionally dusting with pure calcium because too much D3 can be harmful to them (also rotating dusting with multivitamin of course).

AmityReptiles likes this.