This Disappears When Logged In

Good Affordable Tempguns?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by ryanpb, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

In an attempt to tweak the temps in my enclosures a bit more toward the suggested temps, I want to purchase an infrared temp gun. I'm trying to spend less than $20.00 on it, but will spend a bit more if it means not getting a piece of junk. Price matters, but not if it means not getting one that is accurate and dependable. Any ideas for a good tempgun in the $15-$25 dollar range?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I second it on that one. I've only heard good things about it.

4. Merlin

I have the PE2. Its a bit more expensive but I like the laser pointer that shows me exactly the spot I am measuring!
    But the PE1 works fine as well.
    You will be surprised at the variation of temperatures you find in the enclosure!

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

*note to self* Buy Tempgun (I can never remember for the life of me when I am intending to buy reptile things to buy a temp gun)

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I have a temp gun works great. PE-1. Another option is harbor freight tools they may have a cheap one. But remember you get what you pay for.

7. Merlin

And do you really want to chance your animal's health to save a couple of bucks.

8. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Not one bit, "Price matters, but not if it means not getting one that is accurate and dependable".

I like the PE1 and PE2, but it looks like to be effective they have to be really close to whatever your measuring.
    Anyone know if the company Cen-Tech makes a good product, they have one for $30, it looks nice, but that does'nt really mean much does it.
    Im also not sure if i like the idea of not knowing exactly what spot im reading the temp on with the PE1.

9. Merlin

Thats what I like about the PE2. I know exactly what spot I am reading. And as far as I know you will have the same problem with any of the infrared temp guns. If you get too far away you are registering a larger area and the reading is a combination of the temps of the entire area.

10. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Just Curious what does anyone know about the The ReptileUV Mini Temperature Gun, i may be placing an order with them for a bulb and a heat projector soon, and could just tack one of these on, save on shipping.

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not going to say anything specific about the product, since I've never used it. But as a company they are top-notch and are only interested in selling products that work well.

12. Merlin

If you look closely,.... that is the PE1,...... same unit,...go for it.

13. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

cool, thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.