This Disappears When Logged In

Going To An Expo Buying A Cali King Any Tips On Care

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Christian s, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Christian s

Christian s Member

id like to get a young Cali King and just wanted to ask for some tips on how to care for them

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

3. Teri G.

Teri G. New Member

Have you purchased a snake yet?

4. Christian s

Christian s Member

No I haven't but just realized something I have a yorkie in my home and was wondering which would be better a kingsnake or a ball python I want the safest snake for the sake of my yorkie if he or she somehow gets out of the cage and my dog gets in I don't wanna find a snake with a big lump in its stomach and my dog nowhere to be seen

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you aren't sure if a kingsnake or a ball python can eat your yorkie, then you haven't done enough research on either species.

6. Teri G.

Teri G. New Member

Christian, It doesn't seem as though you are quite ready for a snake at this time. As Rich, stated above research is a responsibility and extremely important for the safety and health of humans and animals. What expo are going to visit?

7. Christian s

Christian s Member

I am going to the white plains reptile expo on April 17th for the past 3 hours I've been trying to find out which is better with a smaller dog in the house I did find out that the ball python seems to be better with animals and won't attack animals unless attacked or is not fed well which I'm going to feed it a pinky twice a I've also read that kingsnake a tend to nip at everything that they think is big enough to eat for them to eat which because the kingsnake can get six feet I think the King would more likely escape easier than the ball python as well as more likely to attack my dog.

8. Christian s

Christian s Member

I'm going to the white plains reptile expo and I did more research and decided a rosy boa is the best candidate

9. Christian s

Christian s Member

rosy boas I heard it would cost like 30 dollars and up is this true

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

OK you need to stop and think about this. The dog will be in no danger from anything as long as the snake isn't allowed to escape. And that is rule number one for snake keeping, You MUST have a secure enclosure. Other wise the snake will be gone and loose in your house. Snakes are serious escape artists and if there is a way out they will find it!
    And ANY snake that feels itself in danger will defend itself, regardless of whether it is big enough to eat the aggressor. And to be honest, smaller snakes will be in more danger from the dog than the dog will from the snake.
    And pinkies are not what you would feed a ball python. Even a hatchling can take small adult mice.

Qwerty3159 likes this.