This Disappears When Logged In

Gilleni Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by LovinMonitors4, Sep 16, 2012.

1. LovinMonitors4

LovinMonitors4 Active Member

Got a pair of gillenis a couple days ago, and put them in the custom cage I built for them. They are very shy, won't come out of the bark too much. For some reason my humidity levels are around 80-90 wondering if this is too high? Could this be because I added a coco fiber/ sand mix just a few days ago? Temperatures during the day are at a constant 90 and nighttime is around 80 degrees F. input welcome.

Attached Files:

2. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Humidity should be ok, I would be more worried about those temps. 90 is your coolest ambient temperature in the enclosure? If so, This could be the reason they are hiding all the time, trying to escape the heat.

I personally do not know much of this species, but i do know you will need to lower that ambient temperature.
    Before other members will chime in with more detail, they will ask your cage specs.

LxWxH?
    Basking Temp, Bulb Type.
    Ambient coolest temperature (with everything on)
    Humidity Level
    ...and how are you measuring all these temperatures?

What does the lizards diet consist of, and are you taking any steps towards "Taming" the lizard, if so, How?
    How long have they been in this enclosure?

With the right tweaks, we can help you have some healthy and thriving monitors.

3. LovinMonitors4

It is a custom enclosure with dimensions 2L x 2W x 3.5H. The front opening is made of plexiglass. there are three 2-inch ventilation holes with a vent over them. It also has 10 inches of digging room. Substrate consists of ecoearth and play sand. the bulb i am using is a 45 watt flood light. The hottest part of the enclosure is 90 degrees and the cool side is 80 degrees and sometimes a little lower. I was told they do not need a lot of ventilation, but if the heat is being trapped inside could adding more vent holes be part of the solution?

I have only had the monitors for a day and a half but I am worried because most monitors I've had in the past acclimated very fast but I am aware that they still may need some time to adjust. As far as taming, I try to stay away as much as possible but I have used the tongs to feed them crickets with some success.

I want to note that I live in San Diego and we are currently experiencing record high heats due to Santa Ana winds. Might be a factor because the outside temp has been up to 100 degrees and the house is hotter than normal.
    Thanks.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Seems kind of warm to me as well.
    Make sure the substrate is moist and try to create some areas in it for hiding.
    I'm sure they are just shy yet.
    A beautiful species. I don't think there are too many of them around.
    I don't have much literature or info on them. Definitely a pygmy at max length of 35cm.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Try getting a lower watt basking bulb while the summer is so hot. I live in az and had to lower all the wattages to compensate for the heat waves. Also I make sure that they are not getting hit with direct sunlight as that will heat up their enclosure as well.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the ambient temps sound fine, though you only need to worry about two figures; the lowest ambient (air) @ between approx 24 to 27c (75 to 80f), then the surface at the basking spot @ approx 50 to 65c (120 to 150f), though in the wild they`ve been seen basking on surfaces even higher. The RH is too high, though they do need access to higher humidity, that`s usually found in their hides (behind bark, in tree holes, etc).
    You can have a small vent, normally it`s recommended to position them low down, just above the substrate for tropical species, which require higher humidity (not much heat or humidity is lost that way), but in your case you could position it a little higher, you can always close it off if needed.
    I`ve never kept them, but have a friend who`s bred them, I believe it`s not too difficult.
    If you need any specific info let me know, I`ll contact a few people (it might take a few days to get replies).
    Can you put a few photos up? Thanks!
    EDIT: It takes MUCH longer than a few days for properly supported Varanids to become acclimated to their enclosure, let alone the keeper (even longer still)!

7. LovinMonitors4

Phew, i was hoping i didnt screw up too much but i didnt think i would because i did extensive research but im so confused why them humidity is so high. I woke up this morning and its at 90 but when i feel inside it doesnt feel that humid. Maybe my electronic humidity gauge isnt working.

Heat: Are there basking bulbs that are lower than 45 watts or will a spot light keep the heat from spreading throughout the tank leaving room for a cooler hot spot?

If the humidity is high, is there any way of lowering it? i keep the substrate moist but that adds to humidity but i know its important to keep it moist.

I forgot to tell you guys that i did see a little hole in the substrate so i guess one did begin to dig. I also put the cage in a different location for more privacy. Pics coming soon and i will try to measure the basking spot asap.
    Thanks for all the help.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I`m not sure what an electronic hygrometer is, do you mean digital? I already suggested how to lower the humidity (use a vent).
    EDIT: You need to add much more cover, especially around the basking site (more plastic plants and sturdy branches).
    Is the basking bulb a low wattage halogen flood? You can use playsand on its own or with a little soil mixed in (just slightly moist), but tamp it down very firmly.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  9. LovinMonitors4

Oh sorry.. okay, an extra vent sounds good. The bulb is 45 watt indoor flood, not halogen. Doesnt say it is on the box. so less soil than sand? it should still be able to hold burrows correct?

oh and i did mean digital.

Thanks Murrin

10. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

I am concerned about the empty sockets, Monitors are curious critters, I fear one could stick it's snout right into the socket.

11. LovinMonitors4

Oh wow.. i didnt even think about that! but i just fixed it! thanks!!!

12. LovinMonitors4

Light on and heads poking out of hollow bark tunnel.. maybe we will have a better day today!

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Well spotted Wayne! I would`ve, but I didn`t want you to feel left out:-"....

14. LovinMonitors4

Its been six days now and everything seems a lot better. The male cruises around hunting food and the female sticks her head out of her hide every so often but still very shy. Both eating well and now i dont have to be an extreme worry wort just a normal worry wort haha Temps, humidity, and basking temp in the enclosure are consistant.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, just for the sake of asking, what are the temps and humidity just now?

16. LovinMonitors4

Temp on cool side is 78-80, Hot side 93, basking site 118 and humidity a little over 70..

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details, the surface temp at the basking site needs to come up, better around 50 to 60c (120 to 140F). It doesn`t matter what the ambient temp is on the warm side, it`s only the surface temp that you need to worry about.
    Do you have any new photos?

18. LovinMonitors4

Ill post some when i get home. Had to run to work for a couple of hours. Instead of using the flood bulbs i changed them out for basking bulbs which helped with the basking site and i put a flat rock up high which helped as well.. Pics in a couple hours! thanks for the concern
    Gotta have these guys spot on! Excited to have them thats forsure!!

19. LovinMonitors4

Before i run home i think i'm going to run to LLLreptiles. I need to pick up some food and some other supplies but would you recommend grabbing another bulb to raise the basking temp or go for one bulb with more wattage? I have heard people say more bulbs the better true? if more bulbs how do i know which watts to grab? or is it trial and error? I have also talked to another guy who breeds Gillenis and he says he uses 120w Powersun but i dont wanna fry the little guys or imma have to eat em!

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

In my opinion the best basking site bulbs are the low wattage halogen (flood, not spot) bulbs @ 40 to 50w, because you have more than one monitor in the tank, I suggest two basking sites. As they are only very small at this stage, one bulb at each site should do, raise/lower either the bulbs or basking objects until you get the desired surface temp. This is my Water monitors basking site (I know, just a tiny bit bigger than yours are, but the same principal).

7916503036_259e70c930.jpg
    100_1214 by murrindindi, on Flickr

Attached Files: