This Disappears When Logged In

Getting My New Kenyan Sand Boa To Eat

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Rori, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Rori

Rori Member

Hi y'all,

I recently got a baby kenyan sand boa and I'm just a bit nervous that it hasn't eaten yet. I got it ~ 1 week ago, and when I got him the owner said he was fed a week ago and that he'll probably want to eat soon.

I went and got a live pinky right after i got him all set up in his cage and offered it to him (outside of the cage), and figured he wouldn't eat because he had to adjust to his surroundings. A few days later I tried again with a live and this time (at the recommendation of a few sites) left him in a small area with the pinky for a few hours and still nothing. Since he's itty bitty, a boy at my pet shop recommended trying out a large cricket. Merle (the boa) just seemed very annoyed by the thing so I gave it to another animal.

After that I left merle alone for ~4 days and when I came back i found a bit of shed in his enclosure so I'm hoping that's why he wasn't biting. Lastly, today I bought a frozen pinky because I thought that could be the problem, but he just runs away from it when it's near. I left it in his enclosure for a bit (as I thought he ay just want it in a place he is comfortable), but no luck.

I might be psyching myself out (I know they can last a while without food), but I'm running out of ideas and don't know if I should be worried, try new methods, or give him time. He's my only snake so I'm hoping that some more experienced owners might be of some help.

Any ideas? Thank you :)

2. Rori

Rori Member

Also- here's some pictures of the cutie in case you'd like to see :) Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 6.12.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 6.12.55 PM.png

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

At this point he's probably so stressed from all the feeding attempts it's going to take alittle while. Put him in his enclosure and don't even touch him or look at him for a week. If your enclosure conditions are right, he will calm down and get comfortable and eat for you in a week. Just feed him in his enclosure. Can you describe enclosure conditions as detailed as possible?

Also, any pet store that recommends feeding a cricket to a ksb really should give up now...

Merlin likes this.
  4. Rori

Rori Member

Yeah, here's his enclosure now. It's a 10 gallon with aspen bedding, a small drinking bowl on one side and a 50wt day bulb on the other. In the middle I gave him a little sand pit since he seemed to like burrowing in it more than the aspen.
    Thank you so much for you advice :) I guess I'm used to pets that have to eat daily so seeing one not eat for even a few days stressed me out. From reading around here it does seem like ksb can go a while without food so I'll stop bothering him for a bit.

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

New keepers are often stressed by snakes not eating. What you need to realize is that with warmblooded animals, a lot of what they consume is used to generate body heat. Reptiles do not have this issue so they can survive on a lot fewer calories.
    It seems like starvation to us but the snake isn't bothered.

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

What are the temps under the lamp especially?
    And yes ksb's love sand. Just stay away from the calcium sand stuff. Playsand is best.

7. Rori

Rori Member

It's typically 90-95 F. I also forot to mention this but I have a heater under one side of the tank (but he's usually in the sand pit so he doesn't seem to use it).
    And I'm glad, the breeder I got him from said to get sand but everyone online said aspen so i did a bit of both :). Is calcium sand harmful to them:eek:? I'll make sure to avoid it

Yeah, my only other cold blooded animals I guess I've just been lucky with since they're always ready to eat. I've never had a snake though and know they can be a bit picky but it was a bit shocking to know its been a few weeks and he's still not eating. I guess my mistake was bothering him to figure out what was going on every few days instead of just leaving him alone. He's been chill and buried for the past few days :)

8. Rori

Rori Member

i tried to feed him again. I just left a pinkie in his cage for a few hours (and took out his sand) and after that wiggled it around after a while but he is still disinterested. but i did find a nice full shed in his sandbox, I guess I'll just leave him alone for another week and try again.

9. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Also, I use aspen bedding with the paper towel method when feeding.