This Disappears When Logged In

Getting My First Bearded Dragon!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by ToriH, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

No I ordered him. The pet shops here in town don't have any healthy looking beardies, so I ordered from Great House Farm, who is a private breeder. They have a very good guarantee and the mother and father of my little beardie looked to be in amazing shape. Both are gorgeous too.

And, I've been notified he's on his way... -does a happy dance- :D

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If that fluorescent is your uvb light it is too far away. You need the dragon to be able to get within 8-10 inches of the bulb for it to do any good.
    Also that stick leaning in the corner concerns me. It will be very easy for it to fall over.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I advise leaving the hide in there, they need to feel secure. I`m not sure what the breeder thinks these animals do in the wild, perhaps stay out in the open, and get predated on very quickly!? Better even having several hiding places, he/she will know where the heat and light is (promise)! :)

4. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

That stick won't fall over! =D Dad and I screwed it to the side!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I hope the cat won`t be allowed anywhere near the enclosure once the dragon`s in there? It would be extremely stressful to have a predator staring through the glass, which cats are certainly going to do...
    Also, the hide is much too big, they need somewhere quite tight fitting, to feel secure.
    You have lots of wasted (empty) space (and I agree with Merlin, that little stick is likely to fall, plus it`s too thin) they like to climb, fix a couple of very sturdy branches along the length of the enclosure, make sure he /she can`t get too close to the heat bulb....
    Edit: I think the dragon might have a problem trying to climb onto those tiles, because they`re so smooth, maybe turn the top one upside down, the back`s usually rougher, or use a largish flat stone instead, again, be careful the lizard can`t get trapped underneath..

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, it`s not going to fall, but it serves no purpose in that postion. (Nice if he/she wants to stare at the corner, though;) ;)

7. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Lol Ok. The tiles have a textured surface, but if he has problems I can flip it over. The cat isn't allowed near the enclosure without me being there. She'll be in the other room and if she has to be in my room, she'll be in her crate.
    I'll move the stick, I put it there cause I thought the enclosure was already cramped, but I guess not lol :D When I'm up in the mountains again, I'll find a better one :D

8. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Oh and as for the hide, that's temporary. I was gonna get an aspen trunk from the mountains and make a hide out of that. Of course after I bake it lol.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

When does the dragon arrive?

10. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Was supposed to arrive an hour ago... And I'm getting upset by the minute. I e-mailed the breeder and called UPS...

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Now you`re getting me worried and upset!
    Seriously, I`m sure everything`s fine, it`s tough having to wait for something your looking forward to.... (I know, believe me, I know)...

12. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I just don't my little baby to get hurt. I skipped my class to wait lol I was hoping they had the time zones mixed up, but who knows.

-waits patiently- :-"

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Did they give you a tracking # , if so you can check on line!

14. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I did and I've been checking it since last night. When I called UPS though, the lady(who was very nice thank goodness) told me it could be lagging on updates.

15. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Still no dragon. The breeder contacted UPS, and instead of flying the package, like they said they were, they are driving it. Apparently I'm supposed to get it today, and it's 5:11PM here and still no sign...

16. mld

How far of a drive is it from the breeder to you?
    Hopefully UPS delivers at all hours of the day.

17. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I looked and it's over 1,000 miles, and there's the Rockies to cross... The breeder is very upset, but there's nothing we can do but wait. She told me to give him a warm bath when he gets here and wait to feed him till tomorrow evening.

18. mld

I hope he arrives safe and sound, I'll be thinking about you and the little one!

19. Sandra75

Sandra75 Elite Member

Aww, how long has it been? What does the tracking say?

I know I don't like UPS, the few times I have used them, something went wrong.

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Hoping your beardie makes it soon!!! Keep us posted we can't wait too see your baby!