This Disappears When Logged In

General Snake Questions for More Experienced Owners

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by mercuryjwp, Jul 3, 2014.

1. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Im recently starting to get a big snake collection and want a bigger snake collection but I had a few questions if some of the experienced snake keepers can help. The first question I have is I have a kid in first grade and we both love big snakes. I know the general rule is never get a snake out of a cage over 8 foot. If a snake was to get loose in the house could something like a 8 foot carpet python kill a child?
    Second question I have is I currently have 2 gtp. They both have aquired a few mites. I have the provent a mite spray and something homemade they made me at the pet store. Im applying that by hand everyday and done the spray once. One of my gtp is farm bread and it started getting mites 3 weeks after I got it. The other is a adult that I noticed a few mites the second day I had it but nothing major. I seen maybe 2 on the whole snake. The question I have is how common is mites on snakes? None of my other snakes ive had or have now have mites.

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

An 8 ft carpet python will be eating XL rats and would not be able to come close to taking on an 8 year old. Regardless, an escaped snake is very serious priority #1#1 should be housing it securely. Unfortunately inattentive owners have given our hobby a bad name.

Regarding mites- I would not say they are common, but people do get them. They are not the easiest things to get rid of and I would suggest quarantine for the two snakes. Put them in the basement or something for a while.

Now- my 2 cents on carpets: phenomenal pets. You will not be disappointed. They are active and display well and most calm down alot as adults. They are not heavy snakes and even an 8 footer can be handled with relative ease. A five footer is like a bracelet. Many have very high feeding responses so I would suggest sticking with a feeding routine and having an "off button" for handling. For instance I tap mine on the nose with a hook so she knows it's not feeding time.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Any mites are a bad thing. Not only the snake was to be cleaned, the entire enclosure must be dealt with. Mites will soon over whelm the enclosure and everything else they can find. For the most part mites are loyal to ether Herps, Mammals, or birds so there is less to worry about transferring to your family, but things happen and life will evolve. So getting rid of them is important and urgent.

Worst case scenario any "large" snake can be dangerous. Act responsibly with your snakes reduces problems to the less than 1%. Anything in the 8-10 foot range I suggest one other person around that is able to handle the snake for handling. Heavy bodied snakes over 12' I suggest 2 additional handlers that can handle the snake. Having almost choked to death myself from a 14' burm (handled solo) just from having her on my shoulders (her hanging on) in just a few moments was enough to drill that rule home for me (ah youth...).

Handle responsibly and you will rarely have issues, that includes knowing your snakes attitudes.

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I know just about nothing about carpet pythons, so I am now learning that they are not thick bodied snakes like boas.

However, I think that just because the carpet python kills and eats extra large rats, does not make it safe around an 8 year old child that is alone with it and there is an accident, the child panics, and the snake wraps tightly around the child's neck, now the child is suffocating, and before adult help arrives...??? Take no risks. Absolutely none.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Teach the child how to unravel the snake. Thinner bodied snakes are not hard to unravel, I believe an 8 year old with training can handle it strength wise. I would also caution against un supervised handling... and lock the cage..

8' large bodied snakes would be a bit more worrisome and I'd enforce the no hold unsupervised totally.

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

As far as the snake versus child thing: id say just dont allow the child acess unsupervised. Its probably best for everyone involved. An 8 foot carpet is very managable for a single adult handler

7. Grantandmax

Grantandmax New Member

One effective way to get rid of mites on the snake is to dilute NIX in a gallon of water and use that as a soak for the snake. You can't let them sit and swim in in for long periods of time. You need to rub the mix on them to kill the mites. There's plenty of info for that online if you search a nix snake bath posting. Definitely provent-a-mite the enclosures and surrounding areas. When the snake has been bitten by the mites, I have had luck giving them a diluted betadine bath. It should be a caramel color, not too dark, or you can apply undiluted betadine directly to the bite locations with a q tip. This will soothe the pain and heal it better. You can buy this at Walmart or any other store with a health section. They may turn an orange color after this but it will fade away.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most of the heavy-bodied constrictors can generate enough force to crush a human windpipe once they are in the range of 6-8 feet or larger. An 8 foot snake is not going to eat a human being, but it can be a serious threat to one who is unaware of the danger, or unable to defend themselves, or not properly trained in handling one.

Can't stress enough that the cages MUST be secure not only from escapes, but from small hands. They must be locked, and preferably be kept in a room with a tight-fitting door that prevents the snake from leaving the room if it should somehow escape its cage.

Mites are not a simple fix. They are a royal pain - Think about fleas or head lice - mites are just as bad, but they are reptile specific. They can, and will spread to every herp in your house if not eradicated, and quickly overwhelm and infest them. They aren't just an annoyance, they can spread diseases, and cause problems. Any snake that is infested will likely develop temper problems for the duration of the infestation, making handling a stressful event for snake and person alike.

Here is a good guide to getting rid of them: Snake Mites - Identification - Removal

9. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

My mom worries me to death espically with one of my snakes. It is a 6 foot woma. She knows nothing about snakes. This snake is aggressive. You can handle it, but sometimes it hisses and has very strong feeding response and bit my finger and coiled around my arm. I question sometimes if this snake got loose if it couldnt kill a 6 year old if got loose. It was a rescue snake and theres no telling what is wrong with it. I just want to be a safe as possible. Even with locks, I dont want anything in my house big enough that there would be a 0.01 chance it could kill my child. As far as the mites on the GTPs the mite liquid they made at the reptile store worked and the provent a mite. Thanks for imput everyone

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Even if the snake did get out, there is a much higher chance of you kid getting injured by the family dog or cat. And almost every one of those incidents I've ever seen features the owner saying something like " but it never did anything like this before". Its really more about being a responsible owner. And as for the mites, I'd be very surprised if you dont find some more in a week or two. The eggs take a month to hatch out and are often not harmed in the least by the chemicals. Hopefully the infested animals were not in the same room with your other reptiles, if they are you need to be treating the entire collection.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, it takes 30-60 days before Mites are for sure gone. Be vigilant. I had to treat for over a month to eradicate them when I got them.