This Disappears When Logged In

geckos in the hot zone

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jengal, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

My two fat-tails have called way under a flat rock to hide. One of them has an injured foot, and the other is shedding. I think this explains their remote hide. However, when I checked it, it felt pretty hot to me, so I measured and it's at least 100 degrees in there (the therm didn't go higher). They are right on top of the heating pad, with only glass between them.

I'm tempted to turn the heating pad down, except for two things:

1.) Obviously they both like it, or they wouldn't both be hiding there. They picked for themselves.
    2.) Turning down the heating pad will affect the ambient temperature, perhaps too much.

They do have another hide - the moist, cool one. But they haven't gone in there yet. It is more 'exposed'.

I've only had them a week.

Opinions please. :)

Jennifer

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are you using to check the temperatures?

3. venus

venus Founding Member

I think that is to warm and you might want to tone it down just a bit. Turning it down shouldnt affect the ambient temp that much.

4. Merlin

And are you checking the temperature of the surface that they are laying on or the surface of the rock out side?

5. jengal

jengal Elite Member

I just stuck one of those flat ones in there, the kind that can be mounted on the side of the cage. I know they aren't the most accurate things, but I don't have anything else. Well, I have those round ones that look like a clock mounted on the inside of the cage. And I have human thermometers - I guess I could use one of those. What do you think?

Apparently, it feels good to them bec. they don't wanna' come out. On the other hand, there are some little gnats in there that they might be trying to avoid. I'm not sure where they came from; I just cleaned the cage last night. Anyway, I stuck our baby bullfrog in there to eat the gnats. He won't interact w/ the geckos because they are down under the slate, and he is up on their hide waiting attentively, as bullfrogs do.

Jennifer

Jen

6. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Re: And are you checking the temperature of the surface that they are laying on or the surface of the rock out side?

The surface they are laying on, i.e. the glass between them and the heating pad.

j

7. Merlin

I would go get a digital thermometer with a remote probe. They are much more accurate than the strips.
    And I would not put the frog in there. If I remember correctly it is wild caught and who knows what sort of nasties it could pass on to your geckos.

8. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Actually, we bought him as a tadpole from a garden store and have had him all the way through his morphing. Perhaps you're right though, just to be safe.

jen

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Yup I agree with Merlin on not putting the frog in the leo tank. But I would still decrease the temp a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.