This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko? Hitched a Ride from Anguilla!

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by anguillamystery, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And as stated stop moving him around! You need to put the container in one spot and leave it there. And don't handle or otherwise pester it. The gecko is stressed from being removed from its natural habitat, locked in a suitcase, put into a container, then the container is being jostled and moved around from place to place with all sorts of people messing with it.
    No wonder it won't eat!
    It needs a chance to relax!

2. Caribbean1

Caribbean1 New Member

I live in Anguilla. If it's from here, it's Hemidactylus, Thecadactylus, or Sphaerodactylus. They eat bugs. Not the 3" West Indian Cockroach. Ants are good.

Good luck.

3. Thanks again to everyone for all of your help. You have saved Alex's life! He/She is now happily eating flightless fruit flies and his habitat is stationary for the most part.

Attached is a pic of the bottoms of his/her feet as furryscaly requested. Do these look like the feet of a Hemidactylus?

Caribbean1 you are soooo lucky to live in Anguilla. It is beautiful there. Are you going to Moon Splash?

Cheers,
    Patty

Attached Files:

4. I just did some googling and it seems to me that he looks most like the
    Hemidactylus (out of the 3 Anguillan possibilities of Hemidactylus, Thecadactylus, or Sphaerodactylus). Do you guys agree?

Once we figure out specifically what he is, I would love to know
    how to tell if he is a boy or a girl and also how big he/she will get.

I am so new to this and really appreciate your help.

How often should we clean his house? Do not want to bug him too much, but there are some dead fruit flies around. Changed the papertowels a couple of days ago. AND He loves hiding in his fake plant. He is sooooo cute.

Patty

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

spot clean as needed and if the paper towels start getting funky, replace. That bit of bothering won't hurt him too much. Glad he is eating!

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Of the listed genera provided by Caribbean1, Hemidactylus is the only possibility, based on the initial photos of your gecko. Thecadactylus (turnip-tailed geckos) and Sphaerodactylus (dwarf/ round-fingered geckos), to put it simply, just look different.

Your photos of the feet confirm this. Hemidactylus literally means "divided toe", and refers to the two rows of lamellae on the toe pads (vs most other gecko's 1 solid row per toe, as seen here: http://media.komotv.com/images/070807_Gecko_foot.jpg)

As far as size goes, house geckos generally remain fairly small. Most are comparable in size to a green anole, a common lizard in pet stores (some house geckos are also common in stores). If it is Hemidactylus mabouia, they're usually about 4-5 inches long. Like all house geckos, they don't tame well and are for looking at only, not handling.

Sexing them is fairly easy once they're adults, but you're out of luck until then. Males develop femoral and pre-anal pores, like many lizards, as seen in these leopard geckos: http://www.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2070845/LGsexing_Full.jpg

7. Thanks so much for the info furryscaly. I'm glad to know Alex probably won't get very big (only 4 or 5 inches). Do you know how quickly they grow?
    Bummer he is only for looking at and not for handling. He is so cute... I was hoping we could carry him around and teach him some tricks. (Just kidding... sort of ;))

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hehe, you could try, but they're pretty quick ;)

I'm not really sure how long it will take him to reach that size, but I imagine not more than 2 years. I don't deal much with breeding or development. I do know that growth rate will vary depending on the diet and overall health of the gecko though.

9. OK. Thanks again. I will let you know how long it takes for him to get to his full size :). Have a great weekend!
    Patty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.